Paint Prep / Body Work Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found after talking with all these body shop guys. painting is really learnong how to think on your toes. there are so many things i had to improvise, fix, do without, etc that its almost impossible to paint without being able to come up with unique solutions.

for instance y buddy said i could have fixed all my runs by pulling them off with painters tape before they dried. these guys come up with tricks off the cuff.

i think if have a painting booth, heater, gd lighting, expensive equipement... then it is a little more foolproof. however painting out of your garage... wow it is an art of improvising lol

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit overdue for an update. I've been hustling trying to combat this economic meltdown at work (I'm a real estate agent). Got the driver's side all color sanded, minus the driver door. But I'm not sure if I need to color sand the driver door, it came out that good.

View attachment 243059 View attachment 243060 View attachment 243061 View attachment 243062 View attachment 243063
Looks great!

You should post some before/after pictures just to show folks how far you’ve come with this.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would--just so it matches in shine.
Yeah, for sure. Once color sanded the paint isnt quite as shiney / reflective. although after I am done I plan to use 3M machine polish qka swirl remover on whole truck with a DA buffer. I am not sure if that will bring that high reflective shine back?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a few before pictures and couple during pictures. There's really two before shots.

First before shot, I bough the truck with a really bad rattle can plastiDip paint job.

Then I spent a couple months painfully removing that plasti dip. The guy said paint underneath was decent. However, it was pretty well toast. The clear was pealing all over the place and it was really scratched up.

I then decided to start on the body work (basically roughing up paint body was in good shape - no rust minimal dents). It took me about 5 months to do the body work after my job each evening.

I reconfigured my 2 car garage to do the spray job. I should have done a better job of that. Mainly, installing better lighting... And painting one side of each door at a time. They paint MUCH better when flat.

I made LOTS of mistakes. Really, is a type of job that you cannot write a procedure on how to do. You really have to feel your way through it. I'd never have been able to do this without tips from people on forum here and amazingly feedback from body shop guys in town here. They were more than happy to share as many tricks of the trade as they could. Each one for my specific problem lol

I'm pretty excited about this whole restoration project as I find the 2nd Gen Tahoe to be the best in my opinion. Although would like a 3/4 ton version :/ They started making them more like cars in the 3rd & 4th gens. And the 5th gen will be independent suspension on all 4 corners which isn't a truck anymore. This old trucks are beasts with great motors. Hopefully I can breath new life into this one. Although it's not worth 2 cents lol

89926502_10107261575830790_4473385649134632960_o.jpg 90407013_10107261582013400_7740641144639324160_o.jpg 90420063_10107261581913600_473174244897849344_o.jpg 90529138_10107261567896690_8832766270479794176_o.jpg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a few before pictures and couple during pictures. There's really two before shots.

First before shot, I bough the truck with a really bad rattle can plastiDip paint job.

Then I spent a couple months painfully removing that plasti dip. The guy said paint underneath was decent. However, it was pretty well toast. The clear was pealing all over the place and it was really scratched up.

I then decided to start on the body work (basically roughing up paint body was in good shape - no rust minimal dents). It took me about 5 months to do the body work after my job each evening.

I reconfigured my 2 car garage to do the spray job. I should have done a better job of that. Mainly, installing better lighting... And painting one side of each door at a time. They paint MUCH better when flat.

I made LOTS of mistakes. Really, is a type of job that you cannot write a procedure on how to do. You really have to feel your way through it. I'd never have been able to do this without tips from people on forum here and amazingly feedback from body shop guys in town here. They were more than happy to share as many tricks of the trade as they could. Each one for my specific problem lol

I'm pretty excited about this whole restoration project as I find the 2nd Gen Tahoe to be the best in my opinion. Although would like a 3/4 ton version :/ They started making them more like cars in the 3rd & 4th gens. And the 5th gen will be independent suspension on all 4 corners which isn't a truck anymore. This old trucks are beasts with great motors. Hopefully I can breath new life into this one. Although it's not worth 2 cents lol

View attachment 243087 View attachment 243088 View attachment 243089 View attachment 243090
Man it looks great ! You should be very proud of all you learned and all the hard work you put into that paint job! Way to go!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked for several more hours. I have to finish color sanding the hood, driver door, and rear hatch (didn't like how it turned out on hatch so redoing). Couldn't help but snap a couple pictures though. It's starting to look REALLY awesome, until you get close and see my paint runs (can never completely sand them out).

I plan on putting a scratch resistant ceramic coating or sorts after I'm done. Then go off road hahaha I bought truck for off road now looks too nice.

NOTE: I'm waiting on plastic rivets to arrive from Amazon. They're a month out :| Then I can attach my front fender flare. I found attaching those works best if you use a combination of 3M emblem glue and plastic molding tape. Use the tape to hold it up, then the glue to get a good even sticky.

A6403331.JPG A6403341.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins