Oxygen Sensors, who changed them yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to inspect my 02 sensors upstream and downstream on both side, from the smell of my truck I believe it might be time for them to be changed.
who has done this, and if so have you seen any difference in smell/performance/mpg?

my truck is bone stock.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure how many o2 sensors your truck has. you posted in the 15-20 yr section so im assuming your truck is at most only 5-6 years old. how many miles do you have on the truck so far. anyway o2 sensor removal is going to be the same regardless of the year its either going to be fairly easy or your going to hate life. they will either just come out for you or you will end up with a day project possibly needing exhaust work when you have given up and taken it to a garage. give me some more info on the truck mileage and your symptoms.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of throwing parts at it and wasting money, why not just have it diagnosed and only fix what the problem is? If the oxygen sensors had failed in any way, there’s about 20+ different DTCs that could be set relating to the sensors.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to inspect my 02 sensors upstream and downstream on both side, from the smell of my truck I believe it might be time for them to be changed.
who has done this, and if so have you seen any difference in smell/performance/mpg?

my truck is bone stock.

Listing your year and model would be a huge help! Mileage also.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95k miles, not service vehicle level of idling but a good amount of it keeping truck cool before getting in it in the 100 degrees weather here in AZ

No one has been able to diagnosed my issue

dealerships with a S ( changes evap coal canister, inspected everything, clean intake track, change sparx plugs)
independent with a S

truck is way too rich at startup doesnt matter if cold or hot start.

no code

stock, all maintenance done

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of throwing parts at it and wasting money, why not just have it diagnosed and only fix what the problem is? If the oxygen sensors had failed in any way, there’s about 20+ different DTCs that could be set relating to the sensors.

what truck do you have?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they are rated for 100k, I would just go ahead replace all 4 will run you about $200 (if you order the oem off of rockauto) and a hour or so of your day. I would get a 02 sensor socket and a crows foot. the front drivers side is the hardest one to get tightened up.
again they are rated for 100k but often last longer, it's just good maintenance to replace them all at the same time. did mine At 100k and never looked back.
rockauto has a 5% discount code in the vendor section, saves you half the tax anyway.

**the rotten egg smell could be the cat's, you can have a backpressure test done by a shop or buy a cheapo pressure tester.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Since you have struck out twice with conventional repair shops one alternative would be seek out a reliable performance tuner. They have the gear to monitor all the engine parameters in real time as well as monitoring the exhaust with a wideband O2 sensor. Lots of potential causes, fuel pressure regulation, injectors, temp sensors, MAF.

Just my opinion it seems very unlikely it’s something as common and easy to diagnose as an oxy sensor and two shops failed to fix it.

Good luck getting it sorted.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have struck out twice with conventional repair shops one alternative would be seek out a reliable performance tuner. They have the gear to monitor all the engine parameters in real time as well as monitoring the exhaust with a wideband O2 sensor. Lots of potential causes, fuel pressure regulation, injectors, temp sensors, MAF.

Just my opinion it seems very unlikely it’s something as common and easy to diagnose as an oxy sensor and two shops failed to fix it.

Good luck getting it sorted.

I did take it to a tuner, he plugged it on his laptop and told me all the fuel table are good and the truck is performing as it should.
I have many neighbors with older previous gen gm 5.3, other with my gen and newer, none of them smell like this.

I am trying my best here.

its so bad we always have to make sure the rear hatch is closed when staring and windows up and ac on recycle. it is not me being finicky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz