Overheating after New Intake gaskets..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Ive spent the last week and a half laboriously and meticulously replacing my intake gaskets. I replaced them with a nice fel-pro set. After that i changed the oil after washing the valley with a quart or two to get all the debris out, etc. Well now I have her all buttoned up, so I began to flush the radiator. I thought I had it full of water (not coolant) and buttoned it up and started her, started right up (I have a feeling my timing might be a hair off). It idled for about ten minutes before overheating, so i tried to see if any air bubbles are in the system, I squeeze all the hoses etc. and nothing. Add a little more water and it still overheats, so now i decided to take the thermostat out. Did that, reflushed, and it got a hair past running temp after about 10 min of idling and 15 min of driving, I stopped there because it shouldnt get anywhere near that hot without a thermostat, right? Anywho, I unplugged the rad drain and put the hose in the top on full blast and started it, never even warmed up after 20 min!!! :emotions122:

Im lost! any help?

*also as a side note*- i dont have my fan shrouds on, i didnt think it would affect anything. no CEL or codes either

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Ive heard of people doing these gaskets before and having the same problem as you.. Sounds like you put the gaskets upside down or flipped or something causing to block the water passages?

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The water pump seems okay, or there is nothing leaking from it at least. As far as the gaskets go, the are reversible, there isn't a specific gasket for either side and they cant be flipped upside down because the little alignment lugs on them wouldn't work... I'm thinking an air pocket in the cooling system? I'm pretty sure its all good though...

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with the thermostat, all the way to the red, and without it, about 240 ish if I let it run that long...

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah.... I am TOTALLY lost here, I mean i know quite a bit about these things, but i just cant undertsand how a completely free flowing system would overheat like that, even with water.... anyone else have any ideas?

...maybe ill tighten the intake bolts a little more...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
side note- :Rant:PUT THE SHROUDS BACK ON and try again.
Your air probably sucking air from the sides and front of fan and not physically forcing any thru the radiator.

Could not see from your gasket set anything that could go wrong from incorrect placement.

Didi you have your heater on to bleed air out of everywhere? And when it was hot did you have a stiff upper hose?

Last edited:

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
i wouldnt see the shroud having too much effect, shit people can use one single electric fan without shrouds and be fine :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn