Engine Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, thank you for taking your time to read my post :)
I have a 2009 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT, and something weird is happening. My truck turns off the AC, and says that engine is overheating, and the fans go crazy in the front. I replaced my Thermostat, Thermostat Housing, Coolant Temperature Sensor, Water Pump, Radiator, all new fluids, everything in the cooling system. The car takes a long time to heat up, then the temperature will go down a little while driving, and after about 20 mins the entire needle goes to 0 and the car starts trippin. Here’s the thing. When I disconnect the battery (Brand new 3 weeks old Duracell) and reconnect it, the temperature works 100% fine, warnings and everything go away, and the car runs perfectly fine! Is the computer going bad?
Thank you guys so much for your help
Mack :)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Are you saying that when you disconnect the battery and reset everything, that eventually it starts the same pattern/problem all over again?

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Are you saying that when you disconnect the battery and reset everything, that eventually it starts the same pattern/problem all over again?
Yep, exactly. Happens everyday. I keep a 10mm in my glove box so that I can disconnect it everyday

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thank you for taking your time to read my post :)
I have a 2009 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT, and something weird is happening. My truck turns off the AC, and says that engine is overheating, and the fans go crazy in the front. I replaced my Thermostat, Thermostat Housing, Coolant Temperature Sensor, Water Pump, Radiator, all new fluids, everything in the cooling system. The car takes a long time to heat up, then the temperature will go down a little while driving, and after about 20 mins the entire needle goes to 0 and the car starts trippin. Here’s the thing. When I disconnect the battery (Brand new 3 weeks old Duracell) and reconnect it, the temperature works 100% fine, warnings and everything go away, and the car runs perfectly fine! Is the computer going bad?
Thank you guys so much for your help
Mack :)
Did you replace the pigtail on the coolant temperature sensor? Lots of people miss that and it's a common source of precisely the headache you're describing. Some vendors bundle the pigtail with the sensor because of it.

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
in the box for the coolant temp sensor, I only received the sensor itself and had connected the original wires. Should I buy new wiring?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in the box for the coolant temp sensor, I only received the sensor itself and had connected the original wires. Should I buy new wiring?
If you want to be certain, you can put a scan tool on it and see what the coolant temperature is reading from the sensor. If it’s erroneous, replace the sensor again with one that comes with a new pigtail. This is the one I used on my ‘07 and it’s working great.

Duralast Gold Coolant Temperature Sensor SU112DG
https://www.autozone.com/engine-man...=coolant+temperature+sensor?vehicleId=3090501

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How are you verifying that it takes a long time to heat up? By just the gauge, or checking the temp of the upper radiator hose?

You could compare the scan tool engine coolant temp reading with actual using an infrared temp gun on the block or head. See if they are similar. Monitoring the difference when it happens might tell you if the sensor value is in line with actual. Better yet, use a graphing scan tool and graph the engine coolant temp over time.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, like @Fless said, you'll know when the thermostat gets hot enough to open, by holding on to the upper radiator hose. Then, it is warmed up.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright awesome ordered a new one and it is coming :) Sorry for the long wait, i am having a new issue with the truck xD. I am sending pictures right now of my pride and joy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660