2004 Tahoe Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We’ve not flushed to coolant, but I figured with all the heater hose replacements and topping off, we’ve probably swapped out all the coolant at least once in the last 8 years we’ve owned the truck. I’ll use one of my coolant test strips to confirm it’s ok. I’ll bet an upsized radiator would be a good idea. Do you recall which one you installed? The fan clutch is a year old, but worth checking. How do you test for a bad fan clutch?
The 4.3 radiator on the trucks is like 27" IIRC. I don't know if that sze radiator was also used in other models. The larger sized radiator is 34" (which is the one used for dual electric fans too.) I only replaced mine because I wanted to upgrade to a radiator with engine oil cooler, but I haven't added those cooler lines yet. That's more for like heavy towing.

On the fan clutch if I remember correctly, you are supposed to turn the blades by hand on a completely cold engine. At operating temperature with engine off, you should not be able to turn the fan blades by hand.

OP
OP
C

ClayCollins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not quite a parts cannon enthusiast.
In a situation like this, though, you would not exactly be firing blind if you started replacing oldest parts first -
radiator, heatercore, thermostat, hoses ...
Also, you did not mention replacing the reservoir cap. If not, whip out the parts derringer, and replace the cap immediately.

If you are using that Dexghoul stuff, I have a memory of when it was notorious for becoming thicker with repeated exposure to air ... ?
Consider switching to a Dexghoul-compatible coolant formulation that is NOT Dexghoul. Prestone & Zerex each make one.
Thoroughly and completely flush the crap out of the engine AND heatercore AND radiator, SEPARATELY - or replace heatercore and radiator.

A leak that is not at the manifold or head gasket may not be mixing with oil, yet could still be responsible for coolant loss.
I once found a strange coolant leak by having my cooling system overpressurized (18psi) in the mechanic's shop, cold.
I new radiator cap is going to be step 1. I’ll bet the o-ring is bad and allowing coolant to escape and also limiting the pressure in the system.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go:

Size comparison and the gunk on the old radiator.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230905-091503.png
    Screenshot_20230905-091503.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230905-091446.png
    Screenshot_20230905-091446.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230905-091421.png
    Screenshot_20230905-091421.png
    1 MB · Views: 7

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
34” vs 28”. Big difference. Is it a GM part and a direct replacement?
Do you have auxillary/rear a/c? That makes a difference on the application. What is the width of the existing core? A hint for the future, flushing cooling system is not designed to FIX a problem, it is MAINTENANCE. You can get lucky though. If the heater hoses are approximately the same temp, coming in and out of heater core, it is ok. You can also replace 10 radiators, but if the air flow thru the condenser is not addressed, well you may get better engine cooling with the new radiator but you have not fixed all the problem.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
34” vs 28”. Big difference. Is it a GM part and a direct replacement?
Yes, direct fit.

The only thing is that Im pretty sure I reused my 4.3 fan shroud. The plastic fan shroud doesn't cover the entire 34" front, but I'm running it like that and doesn't seem to affect anything, although I haven't done anything towing yet. AC is nice and cold in this heat wave. I'll try to remember to get the larger fan shroud at some point...

You may already have the larger radiator, no? Can you do a quick measure?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I new radiator cap is going to be step 1. I’ll bet the o-ring is bad and allowing coolant to escape and also limiting the pressure in the system.

I'd be surprised if the radiator has a cap; if it does, it's not OE. There should be a pressure cap on the surge tank, which is the only place to add coolant without opening the system (e.g., removing a radiator hose).

houstontaylor

Reaction score
This may not be the cause of your trouble but my radiator fan attached to the engine on my 2003 Tahoe didn't cool well idling in hot weather in Houston even with a good clutch, but was okay at highway speeds. This meant insufficient AC cold output in my case. Not enough air flow over the radiator at low speed/engine rpm. I thought about trying to retrofit an electric fan(s) to the radiator but never have done that.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may not be the cause of your trouble but my radiator fan attached to the engine on my 2003 Tahoe didn't cool well idling in hot weather in Houston even with a good clutch, but was okay at highway speeds.
This meant insufficient AC cold output in my case. Not enough air flow over the radiator at low speed/engine RpM.
I thought about trying to retrofit an electric fan(s) to the radiator but never have done that.
My stopgap solution to this problem was to have my idles raised to 750RpM.
If you are not going to convert from a mechanical fan to a pair of electrical fans,
you can attach a pusher fan to the front of your AC condenser and wire it to be on whenever your AC is on.

But converting from mechanical fan to electrical fans improves MpG, which is another way of saying, it pays for itself.
So just get it done and enjoy it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's the original radiator I'd consider replacing it; it's bound to have some restrictions in it. On the outside, are the radiator or condensor fins bent or clogged with bugs and dirt?

Also make sure that both halves of the fan shroud are in place and properly connected; that will help your clutch fan pull a good amount of air through the radiator at low speeds. The baffles behind the grill on either side of the radiator should also be in good shape and in place to funnel air through the radiator instead of around it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts