Open Rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe was starting to lose traction and want to do one wheel burnouts when starting up hill. Tire tread is good but that shouldn't matter on dry pavement anyway. I assumed it had a G80 in it that was shot and when i took it to the garage mechanic told me it has an open rear. I pulled the window sticker this morning and it says "3.73 axle ratio" and it says it has the tow package which I remembered but is it possible it could have an open rear and have come with that high a gear ratio and the tow package? It's at the shop so I didn't look in the glovebox to see if it says "G80" as one of the codes.

Thanks

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very possible I don’t think all tow packages came with the same gears though you think they would.

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
These rigs were built in all kinds of configurations. Tow package does not require or include the G80 gov lock rear end.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one determine if they have the G80 posi rear diff? Mine has the GT4 (3:73) on the glove box decal, but I see that the GT4 can be either open or posi. I also have traction control which I assume use the gov-lock. But is that technically posi?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
GT4 is the 3.73 ratio. You should have another Gxx RPO code for the actual diff.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That just it. I see no G80 RPO code, but I'm being told this is a G80 diff? I'm the original owner so no chance its been changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse

Latest posts