Once your car is delivered to the dealer, when do they typically have you come by to sign and then leave with your new car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I have been told my ETA for delivery is next week, 4/14. I was curious about other's experiences on here as to when dealers usually have you come by to complete all of the paperwork and then take the car home. Do they do it same day if the car gets there early enough? Or do they typically ask you to schedule an appt for the following day (or whatever day after works ) so they can do all of their preliminary inspections and stuff like that before you come in?

I need to get my ducks in a row since the dealer isn't too close and if it is on Thursday 4/14 (or even Friday) me and my wife will have to arrange time away from work to do this during the day in advance.... I'd hate to go at night time after work when I won't be able to get a good look of the entire car.

Also, when should you typically contact your insurance company to get all of that in order?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
F

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Why not wait till Saturday so not to miss work?

Call your insurance company, mine insures any new car that I may purchase.

I have young kids, easier to do it when they're in school.

Yeah I was just curious as to when you tell your insurance co....if you do so before hand when you have the VIN or the day of.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A day or two later. Dealer is going to want to clean up the car and make sure any accessories ordered with it are installed. Sometimes cars come with transport wheels and the fancy wheels are shipped to the dealer separately. You can add the car to your insurance on the way to pick it up.

GoHeels

Reaction score
Our dealer handled adding to our insurance. Maybe they handled it because we financed through them?

We had to wait a day or 2 after it was delivered due to a delay w/ the wheels. I asked this specific question though once we found out it was shipped and they told me it would be ready the next day because they always got deliveries at night.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer is going to want to clean up the car and make sure any accessories ordered with it are installed.
It seems like I'm always waiting for the car to be cleaned while I'm there, make sure you read the window sticker/know what accessories you paid for, I had to go back for an exhaust tip they had forgot to install.

sickk21

Reaction score
My dealer had me sign everything before it made it to the dealer. They aren’t taking deposits. Will be a bummer if my first payment is due before it gets here haha

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I placed my order (but inevitably cancelled it), the salesperson told me I had 48 hours to come in and finalize the paperwork once the vehicle hit the dealer lot. Otherwise, it was fair game to whoever came into the dealership and was interested in it.

My guess is they'll give you first crack at buying it since you were the person ordering it, and if you can't get financed or some other issue arises that prevents you from buying it within a specific window of time, they'll make it available to whoever wants it... Business is business.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understand business is business…but why the need for the quick turnaround? Honest question…my speculation is the shorter the time it’s on their lot, the quicker they get another allocation …but I’m just guessing.

Hopefully picking up our order this week (hasn’t made it in yet)….I asked the salesman Friday if there was a timeline by which we needed to “go through finance”, he said no, he actually had a truck there where it was going to be almost two weeks before the buyer “pays for it”…

so many different approaches to handling orders

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645