Old phone as dedicated GPS with a "twist" question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
Have you tried using the old phone via BT and the new via USB (which will override the BT for calls)? And tether the old to the new via wifi (for data).

Well the old is needed for the mapping and android auto, the maps are to be handled by the old phone so I don't have to take the new phone off the hip and in and out of the car. So in that config, it would all work, minus projection mapping of Waze/Google Maps.

Last time I verified, mapping/projection can't be done via BT only via USB, and that puts me where I am now, taking the new phone off the hips to do the nav and all the rest.

Unless I am misunderstanding?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the old is needed for the mapping and android auto, the maps are to be handled by the old phone so I don't have to take the new phone off the hip and in and out of the car. So in that config, it would all work, minus projection mapping of Waze/Google Maps.

Last time I verified, mapping/projection can't be done via BT only via USB, and that puts me where I am now, taking the new phone off the hips to do the nav and all the rest.

Ah, right. Sorry to get your hopes up.

adcmobile

Reaction score
Ah, right. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Only way we know how to do this is with a mirroring input module like this one: https://www.adcmobile.com/product/multi-camera-interface-for-chevrolet-vehicles/

This gives you an HDMI input to mirror the phone, and the audio can run via Bluetooth. It will also allow you to add up to four additional cameras.

When you hook up the phone, you could have it run any app to use as navi, all while listening to just about any source (radio, disc, etc.) because the video switching is done separately form the audio switching. To get audio from the app, you would listen to Bluetooth.

Watch the demo (Waze app at 13:30):

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
I saw your product and I agree it does almost everything, but losing the touch screen for nav when it's mirroring Waze is kind of a deal breaker.

I wish there was some way to let the old phone mirror the active one, but by all accounts it's illegal and falls under phone tapping...... LOL.

Thanks to all for the input.

Chirs

adcmobile

Reaction score
I saw your product and I agree it does almost everything, but losing the touch screen for nav when it's mirroring Waze is kind of a deal breaker.

I wish there was some way to let the old phone mirror the active one, but by all accounts it's illegal and falls under phone tapping...... LOL.

Thanks to all for the input.

Chirs

You don't get factory touchscreen control of the phone if that's what you mean, but if you wanted to display apps that Apple Car Play won't allow, then this is the only way to do it as far as I am aware....