Ok so i have a huge dilemma......i need opinions from everyone!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the real problem here might be that the VIN is all over these newer vehicles. At some point, for some reason, you get pulled over and the situation goes overboard and they start really checking. Those cops usually know or can find out where to look. Really have some 'splainin' to do. But in Ohio about anything goes.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way you can LEGALLY do this is to pretty much strip the good truck and install ALL the parts onto the bad truck that has the good VIN and title. It's legal to swap parts, but once you swap the VIN plate, that's a felony.
So yes it would be a ton of work, but swapping the drivetrain, body parts, interior parts, etc, that's the only legal way to do it.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me throw a hypothetical at you.

Let’s say down the road you get into an accident with another vehicle and someone in either vehicle gets severely hurt. That accident will be investigated further than your average accident because now they want to know what caused it and whose fault it was. If they uncover that your vehicle isn’t even the vehicle tilted, registered, and insured then it’s very likely your insurance will step out of the equation leaving you high and dry. Not only will your insurance step out, then you’ll have to deal with the legal repercussions of what you decided to do.

But what am I even saying this for, you don’t plan to get into an accident right? You’re good to go then.

Also you do know the Tahoe and Yukon have totally different front ends? Any officer who has the slightest knowledge of vehicles will know that.

But to wrap up my post, you asked our opinions… it’s a dumb a$$ idea and clearly you don’t wanna hear that. So do whatever you feel like doing but just know you’ve been warned on how stupid of an idea it is.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a couple things

1) getting a title for a no title vehicle isn't the end of the world
2) swapping a vin (illegal and bad) swapping parts (totally ok and acceptable)

My vote: go down the get a title process, as a fall back start swapping parts.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see much about the "LLC" and how and why you acquired it. But is there a way to find or identify one or more of the principal "members" of the LLC, and get them to sign the title, or give you a letter on letterhead about the purchase?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation right now. Myself, I'm consulting a lawyer. The previous owner sold me stuff and now has gone no contact. So I have to be particularly careful, as he could show up at any time and make my life difficult. Do not put yourself in a situation where this can happen to you. It is not worth it. It may look good on the front end, but it will eventually bite you in the butt -- especially if you keep it forever. If you like it so much, do it right. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but you will appreciate the fact you did it right.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation right now. Myself, I'm consulting a lawyer. The previous owner sold me stuff and now has gone no contact. So I have to be particularly careful, as he could show up at any time and make my life difficult. Do not put yourself in a situation where this can happen to you. It is not worth it. It may look good on the front end, but it will eventually bite you in the butt -- especially if you keep it forever. If you like it so much, do it right. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but you will appreciate the fact you did it right.
I had a similar situation years ago. I bought a Blazer, but when I went to change the title, it was in his Girlfriend's name and she didn't sign the title. DMV wanted it signed, AND a notorized bill of sale. (I had a bill of sale, which was NOT notorized, and SHE didn't even sign it. ) They wouldn't accept my bill of sale, or the title. Tried to contact them, they moved, and either changed numbers or avoided my calls to no end. So the Blazer ended up sitting in my yard for 2 years while I tried to resolve the title situation, but kept hitting roadblocks. While it sat, rats from the yard next door got into it and destroyed the wiring in the engine compartment and under the vehicle. I tried to start fixing it, but it became far too much of a headache, plus I still couldn't get a title for it, so I junked it. The junkyard accepted the unsigned title that I had a long with the bill of sale. They just made me sign paperwork swearing that I did indeed purchase it from the person listed on the title. At least I got most of my money back on it. I ended up losing about $200 on that pile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442