Oil Pressure Sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Concur, I have used them in many applications. The one I took off was leaking at the front, and there was RTV there. I researched this a bunch, and Felpro recommends no RTV. I installed a new one with no RTV and it still leaked.

I believe the felpro gasket is silicone, but I can't confirm this. And getting things to stick to silicone can be difficult. It could be the original one that was leaking did not use a silicone based RTV, and that was the issue.

I also saw a lot of recommendations that the OEM one is better in this particular application. And it may be that people have had better luck as it appears to be a nitrile, or non silicone rubber. So I'm hopeful that the third time is the charm, this time using the OEM gasket.
Replaced my oil pan gasket a few years ago with a Felpro; OS 30693R included was a instruction sheet that clearly said not to use any type of sealant on the gasket. Most people are using sealant in the corners which makes perfect sense I did not. Cleaning the engine mating surface properly is probably most important as is the oil pan surface. Now I see why your replacing the front cover. The Gasket is not the reason for the leak it is the installation process or something else. Hopefully a new front cover is the fix.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it has a doorman plastic cover on there. I also read that those can be problematic. So shiny aluminum it is now.

Also doing the CPS, mainly for the new seal.

Hopefully I can get this all sealed up and be good for a while.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it has a doorman plastic cover on there. I also read that those can be problematic. So shiny aluminum it is now.

Also doing the CPS, mainly for the new seal.

Hopefully I can get this all sealed up and be good for a while.
Never knew they made plastic front covers. Let us know how it works out.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Doorman one is. I'll snap a pic when it comes off.

This one is going on.

IMG_20200909_185651.jpg IMG_20200909_185658.jpg

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Like WJBurken said ...my oil pressure sensor is located near the firewall at the rear of the engine more on the driver side. But I have a 2007 Yukon.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW - I have a 07 Tahoe that the level sensor went bad and it would send very intermittent warning of low oil level - stop vehicle. The pressure was normal. I figured it was either the oil pick-up in the pan or the level sensor. Considering I have 295,000 on it it could have been both. I started with the easiest fix, replacing the oil level sensor. It is located on the passenger side on the 07 5.3L. Easy fix, stop the warning messages.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my oil pan gasket a few years ago with a Felpro; OS 30693R included was a instruction sheet that clearly said not to use any type of sealant on the gasket. Most people are using sealant in the corners which makes perfect sense I did not. Cleaning the engine mating surface properly is probably most important as is the oil pan surface. Now I see why your replacing the front cover. The Gasket is not the reason for the leak it is the installation process or something else. Hopefully a new front cover is the fix.

After taking the front cover off, I suspect it is the issue. The gasket on the plastic doorman cover is a small o-ring. The new cover comes with a paper gasket that covers the entire surface between the cover and the block. The plastic cover, that o-ring does not cover that full surface so you essentially have a small area that isn't sealed right in the corner. So this cover may work ok if you are using the sealant in the corners. But without that, I don't think the Felpro gasket would really seal in that area.

I have used Felpro before, I think they make a really good product, it's just twice now it hasn't worked, and it may be no fault of their own. I suspect that if I were to re-install the Felpro with the aluminum cover it may be fine this go around. But, I'm a little leery to go that route with two previous issues. And the original AC Delco gasket did a good job. I'm optimistic that the third time will be the charm :)Front Cover.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts