Oil Pressure on gauge went High while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Goat

Reaction score
Help please? 2005 Tahoe Z71 2WD 5.3L

While driving to day I noticed Oil Pressure went from 45 PSI normal to 60 PSI and then to 80 PSI!!

Shortly after that, Temp gauge went to bottom of scale.

Disconnected battery and on start up, Oil gauge showed 60 PSI whit out engine having cranked yet, then went to 80 PSI when engine running. Temp gauge read normal 185° for a second and then fell back to bottom of scale.

On way home Check Engine light came on. Read code after getting home and found a P0116 code. (coolant temp sensor)
Cleared that and started engine, temp gauge reading normal gain for now. Oil pressure still pegged at 80 PSI.

Can't be right...

Should I replace Oil pressor sensor?

Thanks,

Charles

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Least expensive attempt to fix would be the sender/sensor. Do the coolant sensor too if you want. I would also be concerned that maybe having stepper motor problems with the cluster.

If you need to do the cluster, this place is a great place to customize your cluster and get a plug and play unit. https://www.fixmygauges.com/

OP
OP
Old Goat

Old Goat

Reaction score
Thanks Ron, all stepper motors changed out a couple of years back, gauge cluster just fine.

New oil pressure sensor in, all seems OK now...

Very common problem it seems, O'rielly tech says 12 sold this year alone in their small town store.

Temp gauge problem could very well be caused by oil sensor erratic signals on 5v bus to PCM. We'll see.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442