Oil pressure gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having a problem with oil pressure gauge going absolutely crazy. One moment it will drop to almost zero from normal. Then give it gas goes up to 80. Is this the oil pressure sensor or something else?

Reaction score
When my oil sendor went bad it would be at zero or all the way pegged, but I also got a check engine light and the code was something like oil sending unit voltage out of range.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having a problem with oil pressure gauge going absolutely crazy. One moment it will drop to almost zero from normal. Then give it gas goes up to 80. Is this the oil pressure sensor or something else?
You can confirm it is the sensor by checking the pressure with an analog gauge. If it is the sensor and you decide to change it yourself, I will post a couple of YouTube clips that should make it not terrible swap.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agree with @wsteele about checking pressure and changing the sensor while you have it off to do the test. I would look up the sensor for you and post a link but you supplied no vehicle info at all. Secret?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the sensor.... Make sure to replace the little basket filter with it.. Some brands
now come with the little filter in the box with the sensor... But check to be sure, and buy
it separately if not included

OP
OP
A

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with @wsteele about checking pressure and changing the sensor while you have it off to do the test. I would look up the sensor for you and post a link but you supplied no vehicle info at all. Secret?
It's my 2011 Yukon xl sorry 5.3 well apparently it fixed itself so not going to go through the pain.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Order the parts.... you'll need them very soon... After a while
it may go into limp mode... At the very least the check engine light will
keep on illuminating and you will not know if you have other issues.
Plus the remote start won't work anytime your CEL is on

roebro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can confirm it is the sensor by checking the pressure with an analog gauge. If it is the sensor and you decide to change it yourself, I will post a couple of YouTube clips that should make it not terrible swap.
Could you post or PM the you tube clips on changing the oil pressure sensor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh