Oil pan gasket, 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who here has replaced the oil pan gasket in a 4x4? i need to replace mine but i really dont want to pull the motor or have to remove the front diff, any tips on doing this?

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who here has replaced the oil pan gasket in a 4x4? i need to replace mine but i really dont want to pull the motor or have to remove the front diff, any tips on doing this?

What year? I don’t think you need to do any of that. Last I checked, the only thing in the way were the transmission cooler lines, but you can get around those.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done the oil pan gasket in my 1998 2 door 4wd more times than I can count. Think I did it 3 times in the first week after a new engine install. You get good at it after a couple times. You will definitely have to lift the motor off the mounts about 2-3 inches. I don't have a way to lift the motor from the top so I jack up the front of the truck from the center of the front cross member. Then pull the engine engine mount bolts (It might be easier to do this before jacking up the truck). Then I support the two front corners of the engine block (from the bottom) with pieces of 1" pipe or something similar. Then you slowly lower the jack. This moves the body of the truck down in relation to the front of the motor which stays still because of the pipes. I think about 2-3 inches is all the separation you need between motor and mounts. You can then wiggle out the oil pan. The front of the pan sometimes gets stuck on the counter weights of the crank shaft. You will likely have to turn the crank shaft by hand from the bolt on the harmonic balancer to rotate the counterweights to the up position to get the oil pan loose. You will have to remove the Y pipe and cats before starting this project. It seems daunting at first but its really not too bad....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick