HELP!! Weird oil pan question…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Young Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While changing my oil pan, I misplaced one screw. I really need to drive right away. Is there anywhere else on the entire car, I can borrow a similar screw??

In the meantime I’m scouring my garage…

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can "borrow" a bolt from somewhere else, but they are not really accessible. The valley cover, front timing cover and rear main cover are all the same thread as the oil pan, maybe slightly different length. Not sure if you can unzip an accessible front cover bolt, it's behind the water pump.

I've bought those bolts before at my hardware store, but I don't recall the metric thread/pitch.

OP
OP
Y

Young Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, you can "borrow" a bolt from somewhere else, but they are not really accessible. The valley cover, front timing cover and rear main cover are all the same thread as the oil pan, maybe slightly different length. Not sure if you can unzip an accessible front cover bolt, it's behind the water pump.

I've bought those bolts before at my hardware store, but I don't recall the metric thread/pitch.
Thanks for responding!

The original job was a simple oil change, until I overtightened the already leaking pan bolt, and cracked it.

The only reason I asked such a crazy question was I was changing the oil for a road trip and time was of essence, and stores were closed.
I ended up delaying my trip, (missed an important event), and just bought the screws from autozone.

For anyone else changing their oil pan, be more organized with the screws!!!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Jobs that I do like that, will have all screws/bolts in a cubby hole on my tool cart or in to a zip loc bag and note inside as to where the bolts go. Never lost one yet.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jobs that I do like that, will have all screws/bolts in a cubby hole on my tool cart or in to a zip loc bag and note inside as to where the bolts go. Never lost one yet.
I use the ziplock bag and sharpie method. Why? Because I learned the hard way like the OP. Experience is a brutal teacher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk