oil life monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Yukon SLE 5.3L that is telling me that my oil life is low and it needs to be changed. It only has 3400 miles on it and doesn't have much idling time. With the Dexos oil I thought it was calibrated for 6000 miles. I've had a '19 Yukon and a '16 Silverado that oil was changed at dealer every 6k miles with Dexos and never got a low oil life message. Did something change in the newer models?

Tyrell

Reaction score
22 Denali 6.2L here. 5.5k miles and showing and 28% engine oil life remaining. :shrug:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in my opinion the oil should be changed regularly at 3000 miles, regardless of what any spec or book tells you, it's just good maintenance.
Also it is good for the cylinder shut off system to keep the oil clean, there may not be any "studies" out there but it is generally believed that doing this may help prevent problems with collapsed lifters.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking into this because I am up to 5k miles and planning my first oil change. My 2022 Denali Owner's Manual says the mileage expectancy is 7500 miles. My opinion is that clean oil is ALWAYS better. In the "old days" I would have done my first oil change at 500 or maybe 1000 miles. Then at 5000 mile intervals after that. I am going to stick with oil changes, full synthetic, every 5000 miles. Also, it's an easy interval for me to remember.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 5.3 - oil minder is about 34% and I'm approaching 5k miles. I'll send a sample to Blackstone and report somewhere here. Now at 172k. IMHO changing every 5k miles is probably good enough. In the old days 3k was recommended by VW but there was no oil filter. I think 3k is overkill but doesn't hurt anything other than your wallet.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the oil life monitor takes several variables into account in addition to miles driven. Things such as start-stop cycles, engine load and towing, acceleration rates, average driving speed, and engine temperatures and run time.
Miles driven was once the only metric available, but most modern vehicles include many others.

I pay very little attention to miles driven any more; I rely solely on the oil life %.

YMMV

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change twice a year in my ram - when i change my winter/summer tires. Full Synthetic First of May (before heat of summer). Full Synthetic in November(before extreme cold of winter). I'm at 90K miles - no problems.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Built in monitor plus the occasional Blackstone analysis (if you plan on keeping the truck over 100K miles) is all you need. Blackstone can let you know if the oil life monitor is acting up by showing how the oil breaks down and any impurities in the sample. Should only be about $30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC