Oil leak near the starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been smelling some oil burn so I looked underneath my '99 today. I could see a drip on what I think is a torsion bar and then some oil on and around the starter. I was looking at the valve covers and exhaust manifold but can't see any signs of a leak there. This is all on the right side of the motor. There does seem to be some leakage around the fill tube on the left valve cover, but I can't imagine that is making any building on the right side.

Any guesses on where the leak is? Are these motors known for a particular leak near the starter? I need to take it in for an oil change and will have them do a diagnosis on it then to be sure.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
No, not known. Wipe everything clean and sear again or better yet have some UV dye added to the OLD oil and as soon as you smell it burning have the UV light put on it to track it down. Might spot it sooner perhaps. Fix it then change your oil.

OP
OP
B

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Is it safe to go to a self wash and power spray the engine (avoiding the air cleaner of course)?

I've seen some stuff at the auto parts store that is a dye. Same idea as the UV stuff I think. I'll give that a try.

Edit - scratch the power wash.

Reaction score
Thanks. Is it safe to go to a self wash and power spray the engine (avoiding the air cleaner of course)?

I've seen some stuff at the auto parts store that is a dye. Same idea as the UV stuff I think. I'll give that a try.

Edit - scratch the power wash.

NO! If you have a leak out, there will be a way to get water in, that would be catastrophic! (*I see the edit, but just wanted to make sure)

It sounds like a bad front main seal/timing cover gasket

Here's the front cover seal

http://www.gmpartsonline.net/parts/...teid=215055&diagram=T008070&diagramCallOut=16

It's a cheap part and a moderately easy fix. I'm sure a shop would charge you big time so I'd say get a repair manual and do it yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO! If you have a leak out, there will be a way to get water in, that would be catastrophic! (*I see the edit, but just wanted to make sure)

It sounds like a bad front main seal/timing cover gasket

Here's the front cover seal

http://www.gmpartsonline.net/parts/1999/GMC/YUKON/SLT/index.cfm

It's a cheap part and a moderately easy fix. I'm sure a shop would charge you big time so I'd say get a repair manual and do it yourself.

So your thought is that the leak is coming from the front of the motor (around the cover) and working it's way to the back? I'll spend some time under the truck and see if I can trace the oil to that area. Thanks for bringing that up.

I like to consider myself handy but I'm not sure I'm willing to take that on. I don't mind some things (I've done starters, idler arms, shocks) but have always avoided engine internals.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL nothing wrong with a power wash, the leak you are talking about is a drip, not a gyser letting "catastrophic" amts of water in. Besides that unless you are running a low temp thremostat the oil will get hot enough to burn off a lil water.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1998 2 door with 4wd is showing an oil leak in that area too. I don't ever smell burnt oil but it appears around the starter and transmission housing. When I had a new tranny installed a year ago, I had the shop change the rear main seal. Shop said old seal looked ok. Still have that leak after the rear main seal change. The shop said maybe it was coming from the distributor. They said maybe an o ring or gasket on the distributor. I've never really looked into it further. The leak seems very slight and never shows drip marks in the driveway. I loose and/or burn about a quart of oil in between 3000 mile oil changes. I suspect mostly its being burned due to engine wear/blow by. 240k miles on the clock.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
LOL nothing wrong with a power wash, the leak you are talking about is a drip, not a gyser letting "catastrophic" amts of water in. Besides that unless you are running a low temp thremostat the oil will get hot enough to burn off a lil water.

powerwashing is stupid idea on the engine. theres electronics that can get wet..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
On the contrary they all have connectors that are sealed an I use a pressure washer in the engine bay regularly. I only cover and avoid the alternator and K&N filter element. Otherwise the engine, wiring bundles, various electronic modules and plumbing all get soaked with soap then sprayed down.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerwashing is stupid idea on the engine. theres electronics that can get wet..

Dear 8 pounds 6 ounces... new born infant jesus, don't even know a word yet. Please enlighten us here at lowly TYForum.com as to what electronics are located on the underside of a 350 SBC engine that would get wet driving in the rain, or romping thru a puddle and be direly effected by a simple garden hose.

On the contrary they all have connectors that are sealed an I use a pressure washer in the engine bay regularly. I only cover and avoid the alternator and K&N filter element. Otherwise the engine, wiring bundles, various electronic modules and plumbing all get soaked with soap then sprayed down.

WTF just happened?!