Oil Leak Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm I wonder if this is my issue on my 05? Seems like an easier fix than a rear main seal which is what I have assumed for some time now.

Have you pulled the inspection plate off and looked inside to check for a rear main seal leak? If it is dry and clean in there, you can be pretty sure it isn't the rear seal.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you pulled the inspection plate off and looked inside to check for a rear main seal leak? If it is dry and clean in there, you can be pretty sure it isn't the rear seal.
Sonofabitch. Its not the rear main. There is moisture on the back of drivers side head. Yhis may be my leak after all

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pvc setup in the original valve cover clogs up. This prevent the pvc system from keeping a vacuum on the crank case. Instead you end up with pressure in the crank case which forces oil out of the engine via gaskets, piston rings, etc.

The new improved driverside valve cover, GM# 12570427, is the fix.
went ahead and ordered one for good measure

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got both valve covers done finally. LOL first side took me 30 minutes. passenger side took rest of day because of that end bolt. Thanks for all your help. step one complete next week Im dropping the oil pan.
Fyi the passenger side end bolt/stud for the coil packs just took me a couple mins with a flex head ratcheting combo wrench. I pulled them to clean that side.

P_20210424_183011_vHDR_On.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE