Oil filler tube extension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a longer version of the 6" long, curved oil filler tube that is standard on 6.0L GM SUVs. I'm making a custom engine cover that will extend over the valve covers. The dipstick is long enough to let me cut a whole in the new cover for access to it. But the oil filler tube is about 2" too short. I see extension tubes for sale on Amazon and Ebay, but it's unclear if they attach to the existing tube or replace it. If it attaches I can cut it to length and make it work. But if it replaces the existing tube it won't work. Anyone?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a longer version of the 6" long, curved oil filler tube that is standard on 6.0L GM SUVs. I'm making a custom engine cover that will extend over the valve covers. The dipstick is long enough to let me cut a whole in the new cover for access to it. But the oil filler tube is about 2" too short. I see extension tubes for sale on Amazon and Ebay, but it's unclear if they attach to the existing tube or replace it. If it attaches I can cut it to length and make it work. But if it replaces the existing tube it won't work. Anyone?

Maybe one for an Express van? No idea on the actual length in numbers, though.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the dipstick wouldn’t be accurate in a longer tube, it’s not going to go down far enough unless you extend it too.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He did say he was cutting a hole in the new cover for the reach access to the dipstick.
Right, he said there is enough room to reach the dipstick but not the filler. That's the way i understood it anyway. He wasnt looking to extend the dipstick tube just the filler. So Rockets thought on the stick not reading wouldnt be a problem.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would MacGyver a custom job...

I would see if I could cut the filler tube in the middle and use appropriately-sized rubber hose (oil resistant material) and a couple of hose clamps. Make the hose long enough to extend the upper half of the tube to the height you want.
If it is under the custom cover, it might be hidden enough so only you know it is rubber hose and clamps under there.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I would MacGyver a custom job...

I would see if I could cut the filler tube in the middle and use appropriately-sized rubber hose (oil resistant material) and a couple of hose clamps. Make the hose long enough to extend the upper half of the tube to the height you want.
If it is under the custom cover, it might be hidden enough so only you know it is rubber hose and clamps under there.
Good idea! Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645