Oil change. Mileage or life.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TraumaTruck1

Reaction score
I am planning on going by the oil life monitor. I put 200k miles on my Honda Ridgeline, which uses a similar monitor and similar math to decide when you need to do your oil change. I would send an oil sample off every year, and everything always came back good.

I believe that the monitor is based on a good quality Dino oil, so if you are running a high quality synthetic you should be even better. I would also assume that if you're vehicle is made after the Dexos requirement came out, that would be factored into the math in the oil life monitor.

I run Amsoil, so I am interested in how it will hold up vs the monitor. I will send off a sample and share it when I drain the oil that is in it after the oil that is in it now. The Yukon had 120k miles on it when I bought it, and I just put Amsoil in it for the first time. I don't think it would be fair to do a sample on this drain interval because I have no idea what oil has been run in it, and I am sure that it will clean some varnish off on the first run.

I will share the report when I do it.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any oil consumption since having the burb tuned and having the AFM BS tuned out

LRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changing Royal Purple synthetic every 3K is a good good waste of money. That oil is made to go at least 10K in a healthy well cared for engine. When I had my Colorado Xtreme I ran mobil 1 and changed every 10K, i sent a sample to blackstone labs and in the report they recommended I run it for a longer interval, it still had useful life left. I run dino every 5K in my accord and it doesnt burn a drop, i check the oil and it still shows a nice bronze color on the dip stick.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^this. crazy to waste all that money.

and changing at 50% oil life is roughly only 2500-3K miles. my oil life monitors gets to 0 right between 5-6K miles. 5k on dino oil in anything NBS or newer is plenty fine. i wouldnt see an issue with mobil 1 going 10K if you arent a stop and go driver on a regular basis.

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed mine at 4200 miles, life said 46%.

It did not look good and no way I would run it another 3500 miles.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any oil consumption since having the burb tuned and having the AFM BS tuned out

I've been interested in disabling the AFM since I bought my truck five months ago. Unfortunately, it consumes a couple quarts of Mobil 1 over the course of an 8,000 mile oil change interval. I'm almost positive, after tons of research, that if I were to disable the AFM, the oil consumption would decrease dramatically, if not be totally eliminated. What was the difference in fuel mileage before and after tuning it out, if you don't mind me asking?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My gas mileage was almost exactly the same but that is because I had Justin tune for performance. I have an mpg tune as well but have never loaded it. I've heard of people getting upper teens (18-19) with the MPG tune.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gas mileage was almost exactly the same but that is because I had Justin tune for performance. I have an mpg tune as well but have never loaded it. I've heard of people getting upper teens (18-19) with the MPG tune.

Damn! Very impressive. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and have mine tuned. Seems to be worth it in the long run. Thanks for the info...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exceltheink