Oil catch can options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like every year I'm having to clean out my throttle body because of build-up so I wanna know what's a decent catch can to get? I see some around $20 that have the same design as more expensive ones. not sure which design is good or not. also would like to know exactly where to hook it up to. when I was younger I had a old Honda that had separate pcv for the head and block so I'm not sure if I would need a 2 port or a 3 port for our engines

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Moroso unit off Amazon (one of the expensive ones). Having said that, as long as it has an air/oil separator as part of the design (a kind of metal pot scrubbing material inline with the air flow to catch the oil and separate it from the air), it should be fine. It isn't a high tech thing.

The install is super simple. You are just inserting the catch can inline between the PCV and the Intake Manifold and mounting in a convenient place to get at it to drain it.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget to check your engine oil level after emptying the can. I suppose you could reuse the collected oil after letting the water settle out. I check mint every couple weeks in the winter and I get a ridiculous amount of oil and water collected.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I added a cheap one that i could remove the top and bottom of the canister.
From there i added a tube going to the bottom that connects to the valve cover side, stainless steel scrubbers, and since i had some aluminum sheet metal and the motivation, a few baffles.
at the top i added a little mesh screen to prevent anything weird from getting sucked into the intake.

I did not get pictures of my setup when i was building it, mostly because when i was fitting it i ended up just leaving it installed... lol

at the bottom i drilled and tapped 1/4in npt and added a drain ****.
So far i have drained some moisture, and a wee bit of oil from it.
I do however have the older valve covers that have the TSB about oil burning.

drain **** is awesome, the first one i did for my vette was not nearly as complex.
It just has ss steel scrubbers, the tube, and some aluminum mesh screen in there.

The mesh screen just happens to be something i have a roll of thanks to a garage sale a few years ago.
pretty much it's the stuff that you would install over your house gutters to help keep leaves and trash out.

the aluminum sheet i used, was a left over from a heat shield i made for my lawn tractor.
Otherwise, you should be fine to just use the stainless steel scrubbing pads.

Also when i had my intake and heads off last month, I thought everything looked pretty good.
I didn't see signs of any oil burning, however storing my intake on it's side resulted in a ton of oil pouring out.
Possible there is a provision inside to catch oil, but i have noidea.
My engine is at about 180k, so i assume a lifetime of oil was stored there. :jester:

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget to check your engine oil level after emptying the can. I suppose you could reuse the collected oil after letting the water settle out. I check mint every couple weeks in the winter and I get a ridiculous amount of oil and water collected.
with all that moisture I wouldn't bother using it back

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what diameter hoes would I need to connect to the pcv? just picked up one on Craigslist but it comes with 1/2 hoses

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/8" fuel supply hose will slide right on your PCV and Manifold fittings.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another question I had was I see that the pcv runs to the middle of the intake manifold but the reason I picked up the catch can was to try and help out the build up I keep getting on my throttle body. is there another line that I could tap into?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will.

The path is: from the valve cover, thru the catch can, to the intake manifold, then into the combustion chamber.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9