Oil and filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
I'm going to start doing my own oil changes and was looking around for suggestions on a brand of oil and filter to use on my 15 Tahoe.
I have seen some people use M1 synthetic and others using Shell Rotella gas truck.
Wix filter seems another suggested filter others are using.

Which one should I go with? I'm located in Minneapolis so it's cold here as well.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have used the top line WIX filters for years with no problems and recommend them to anyone that asks. I use Amazon Basics full synthetic 10w-30 oil You can see you tube videos where that oil performs as well as or better than Mobil 1. I would go with either of those oil choices, Amazon or Mobil 1, depending on price. I get mine delivered for free and the filter too.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used either 0W20 Mobil 1 EP or 0W20 AC Delco oil and AC Delco Filters. Nothing else. Works fine in Miami jungle heat and in cold NYC in winters. Those oils make me sleep better.

That is just me. To each their own.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill chime in. I use Valvoline 0w20 non high millage with a K&N HP2011 filter. Im at 115k miles now with thankfully no engine issues.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mnjeepmale, Unfortunately when you ask what oil, tranny fluid, differential fluid or filter do you recommend you will get many different answers and be more confused than when you started. I belong to several forums and the different opinions is universal on those forums. We all kind of chuckle when we see these. It has been asked on this forum several times before with the same results. Just stick with a good name brand and you should be fine. Your owners manual is a good source for viscosity. Good luck.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes... The good old oil thread. Refreshing... :D

Mobil 1 and Wix are my choices and I really don't care if I can save a buck or two or ten by using something else. Has worked for me and I ain't about to change that anytime soon. Take it for what ever it's worth. :2cents:

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Not too far from you...Duluth. Ever visit the Lake?

I’d recommend anything full synthetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork