Off Roading with an automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your statement of leaving it in 4lo comes off as sounding like someone that has "maybe" been off road, barely. not someone with years of "heavy" off roading, you should know well it completely depends on the terrain and circumstance. Besides I don't think there going to be attempting to crawl rocks on there first trip to a off road park with a stock rig, it will most likely be a learning experience which will be where you get to "find out" if you should use 2wd/4wd/4lo given the particular circumstance.
I would never tell someone ya just use 4lo all the time off road, no.......... because it completely depends on if it is wet, dry, ice, snow, rocks, sand, mud, small hill, big hill, giant hill, downhill etc.
You're welcome to think what you like. Your continual insistence that I told him to use 4lo all the time comes off as sounding like someone with poor reading comprehension skills. As I stated and reiterated, "where you need 4wd".

Of the terrains you listed, the only one I'd choose 4hi would be ice and sometimes snow because it will make the truck less responsive to throttle input in slick conditions. All the rest, if 4wd is necessary because I am not making it in we, then I'd take 4lo because of the torque multiplication and saving wear and keeping heat out of the transmission. If you need more wheel speed then you can shift to 2nd, but the extra torque is going to help you from a stop and prevent you from getting bogged down in all other terrains.

Again, I don't see the point in this chest beating. You're sharing your perspective, I'm sharing my perspective. I'd be happy to learn whatever knowledge you might have that I lack based on experience, but otherwise - why not live and let live?

I'm not going to continue this discussion following this because you seem more interested in being right than in having a genuinely constructive cost/benefit discussion.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're welcome to think what you like. Your continual insistence that I told him to use 4lo all the time comes off as sounding like someone with poor reading comprehension skills. As I stated and reiterated, "where you need 4wd".

Of the terrains you listed, the only one I'd choose 4hi would be ice and sometimes snow because it will make the truck less responsive to throttle input in slick conditions. All the rest, if 4wd is necessary because I am not making it in we, then I'd take 4lo because of the torque multiplication and saving wear and keeping heat out of the transmission. If you need more wheel speed then you can shift to 2nd, but the extra torque is going to help you from a stop and prevent you from getting bogged down in all other terrains.

Again, I don't see the point in this chest beating. You're sharing your perspective, I'm sharing my perspective. I'd be happy to learn whatever knowledge you might have that I lack based on experience, but otherwise - why not live and let live?

I'm not going to continue this discussion following this because you seem more interested in being right than in having a genuinely constructive cost/benefit discussion.
no chest beating or my answer is the only answer or anything like that at all do as you like....., some of us like to have fun. I myself recomend not using 4lo unless it's called for as in stuck or about to get stuck, highly questionable terrain. Otherwise you don't need to use it
JUST MY OPINION, don't take it personal. I apologize if it came out that way.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need it, but it is much easier on your transmission. If you are offroading and in a situation where you need 4wd (which is when i specified to use 4lo - "read my post") you are not going to get anywhere near 40mph. You likely won't see 10mph in that situation.
I will agree that Low Range will ease stress on The transmission. And agree that 95 percent of the time you won't get to 40 mph. But, just because you are off road and may need four wheel drive doesn't mean you need Low. Such as a beginner.
I have years of heavy off roading experience. I'm not just pulling this out of nowhere.
Same here. I've logged close to 35,000 miles offroading, have multiple mud bog and mud drag trophies. And i never tell a newbie to start out in low.
Most of the time for things I do Low is my go to. But for a beginner that might only need a tiny bit of extra grip and not gear reduction...High is perfectly fine, if not preferred. Because why? Low may make the vehicle jump/respond to throttle faster than expected. Apply more torque to the wheels and what does more torque do? Break parts if not careful. And who is not expecting it to react that way or know how much throttle to give? Newbies.
This is why the 03 and up SUVs have a throttle offset in the OS to prevent more than 45 percent throttle no matter how much you mash the pedal when it is in low range. To prevent driver mishaps.
So as the OP stated he has never done this before in a vehicle like this, I couldn't in good conscience tell him to go right to Low, without knowing the terrain he will be navigating.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will agree that Low Range will ease stress on The transmission. And agree that 95 percent of the time you won't get to 40 mph. But, just because you are off road and may need four wheel drive doesn't mean you need Low. Such as a beginner.

Same here. I've logged close to 35,000 miles offroading, have multiple mud bog and mud drag trophies. And i never tell a newbie to start out in low.
Most of the time for things I do Low is my go to. But for a beginner that might only need a tiny bit of extra grip and not gear reduction...High is perfectly fine, if not preferred. Because why? Low may make the vehicle jump/respond to throttle faster than expected. Apply more torque to the wheels and what does more torque do? Break parts if not careful. And who is not expecting it to react that way or know how much throttle to give? Newbies.
This is why the 03 and up SUVs have a throttle offset in the OS to prevent more than 45 percent throttle no matter how much you mash the pedal when it is in low range. To prevent driver mishaps.
So as the OP stated he has never done this before in a vehicle like this, I couldn't in good conscience tell him to go right to Low, without knowing the terrain he will be navigating.

That's a lot of miles; certainly more than I have.

I can see your logic about breaking parts. It's not how I personally handle training beginners, but I can appreciate it. I prefer to start folks out doing what I would do instead of retraining later and throw a warning to be easy on the throttle if it's someone I think needs the warning. Something I didn't mention in my first post but certainly should have given my lack of knowledge of OP's experience and driving style.

You're a grown person and don't need me to tell you your input is valuable and that is not what i mean by this. We're just two blokes on the Internet, but I personally value it and appreciate that it comes from experience and that you explained your reasoning, even though your methodology does not match mine. Thank you for having the discussion.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of miles; certainly more than I have.

I can see your logic about breaking parts. It's not how I personally handle training beginners, but I can appreciate it. I prefer to start folks out doing what I would do instead of retraining later and throw a warning to be easy on the throttle if it's someone I think needs the warning. Something I didn't mention in my first post but certainly should have given my lack of knowledge of OP's experience and driving style.

You're a grown person and don't need me to tell you your input is valuable and that is not what i mean by this. We're just two blokes on the Internet, but I personally value it and appreciate that it comes from experience and that you explained your reasoning, even though your methodology does not match mine. Thank you for having the discussion.
Quite a good discussion. But here is where I put the big idea out. He needs a trustworthy friend to be his co-pilot. Someone who has a little experience offroading riding with to talk him through it. Someone to hop out and spot him until he gets a good feel for his rig and the terrain.
You and I like you said, " just two guys on the internet ". We aren't going to be there with him, so either of our styles really won't help him if anything hits the fan. It doesn't matter really whose way one does it, as long as you are reasonably safe and have fun.
That is the best part of wheeling. The friendships and memories made are the best part of all of it. Old disposable cameras were the best 10 bucks i ever spent. Man I have photo albums from decades ago of my buds and I wheeling and digging to unbury one truck or another. Good times that sadly a few of us won't have again.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a good discussion. But here is where I put the big idea out. He needs a trustworthy friend to be his co-pilot. Someone who has a little experience offroading riding with to talk him through it. Someone to hop out and spot him until he gets a good feel for his rig and the terrain.
You and I like you said, " just two guys on the internet ". We aren't going to be there with him, so either of our styles really won't help him if anything hits the fan. It doesn't matter really whose way one does it, as long as you are reasonably safe and have fun.
That is the best part of wheeling. The friendships and memories made are the best part of all of it. Old disposable cameras were the best 10 bucks i ever spent. Man I have photo albums from decades ago of my buds and I wheeling and digging to unbury one truck or another. Good times that sadly a few of us won't have again.

Agree completely, best advice in the whole thread. Find a buddy and make some memories together.