OEM backup camera wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DS95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have an oem camera im installing in my vehicle.

Does anyone have the wiring for the six wire factory 12v camera?
Can I run the ignition to the reverse as well or will that not be good?

Additionally I'm making the signal wires into an RCA video female plug. Am I fine running a male to male rca to the front for the nav?

OP
OP
D

DS95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone? I've searched for countless keywords on this forum. And on google. Anyone know the factory wiring for the camera? There are six wires coming out of it

brh11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I Figured I would try to help out if your still looking for info on this.I have access to a great database for everything on the these SUVS Here is s what I found for the camera output.This is for a 2009 Yukon so It should be the same.

Hope I helped!

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
D

DS95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll try this out. I had come up with something similar and ended up tearing the wiring apart and it looks like the camera has four wires that turn into six wires with the ground going to three of them which seemed odd
Is it possible the reverse signal is negative switched?

OP
OP
D

DS95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, so here's where I'm at. I ripped apart the camera wiring and apparently there's only four real wires going to the camera. Red Yellow Brown and a Drain wire(GND)

The drain wire goes into a crimp that connects to Black Grey and White. And then goes into the plug.

So shouldn't I be getting a video signal when hooking the camera up to power with a battery with the red wire positive 12v, and the black as ground? And yellow to video positive and brown to video negative?

I'm confused at this point and really debating just going to an aftermarket camera with all this struggle. Please help

Someone had to have installed the factory camera into a Tahoe with the factory NAV afterwards

687ceb37f5f95a58234dc9ef56a25ad3.jpg8abc7bae9b5aa1acbb9e193caeedb680.jpg2360010e930336b757be02a0743ff6cc.jpga43053ca1eef3003f83b907ecedbebba.jpg2e95aed5a8f35c71a0e3e924d0531d16.jpg98d8c79bb28969c20460543a9a943512.jpg

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread but it helped me out so I thought I'd comment.

Installed a Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX which has two camera inputs but works with the factory camera. In addition it has a camera view option to see that camera view (or the second one if I add it) by pushing a button. That latter feature gave a blank screen. I figured out in another thread I needed to trigger the camera on. Enter that wiring list above,. I tapped into the switched pink wire and jumped it into the dark blue (D-BU) listed. Now the camera is triggered with the ignition and works with my radio.

Odii

Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread but it helped me out so I thought I'd comment.

Installed a Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX which has two camera inputs but works with the factory camera. In addition it has a camera view option to see that camera view (or the second one if I add it) by pushing a button. That latter feature gave a blank screen. I figured out in another thread I needed to trigger the camera on. Enter that wiring list above,. I tapped into the switched pink wire and jumped it into the dark blue (D-BU) listed. Now the camera is triggered with the ignition and works with my radio.
nice! great info thanks

is that the $$$ HU? happy with it?

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It cost me about $1700 total. Pretty pricey for me but it gives me more features that I wanted without losing any. Still learning my way around this complex piece of equipment. Some features I want available while driving are locked out if the parking brake isn't set. Likely I'll work around that.

I was able to send a text with one tap of a microphone, dictating the message, then telling it to send. It uses Android Auto quite nicely. I have never used "hey Google " so it's not set up on my z-flip 4..yet. that would let me do even more without ever taking my eyes off the road.

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, sorry to bump an old post. But I am trying to wire in a rearview mirror that will use the rear camera to use as video instead of a mirror.

It came with a camera to install, but I want to tap into the oem camera to make it as oem as possible.

Had the wiring apart like you did. What wires did you use? Did you eventually get another camera wired in and working?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer, but your new camera maybe higher resolution than the old factory camera...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157