Odd starting behavior....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96whitetahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, fairly new to the forum, so bare with me on this. i've searched the forum thoroughly concerning the infamous P0300 CEL, which i unfortunately have. I've cleaned the egr, checked for vac leaks, changed plugs,wires,cap and rotor and even had a gm tech check timing, all good there. Now, what's odd, is that when the truck is cold, it starts right up. decent idle, nothing crazy lumpy etc etc. but if i drive around for a while, get up to temp, and shut her off for say 15 min, it takes about 3-5 seconds for her to fire back up. now, here's the ringer. if the truck is up to temp, and i go to get gas, and take say 5-10 min shooting the breeze with the tech while filling up, the truck will fire up right away.

weird.

i decided to experiment on this. drove for the week, and when it came time to fill again (little less than quarter tank) i went to the gas station, took off the gas cap like normal but didnt fill it at all. waited 5 min or so, put the cap back and went to start it up. 3-5 again. drive around the block really quick, back to the station and shut her down. fill it this time to about half full or a lil more, and she fires up right away. wth....drive 10 min home, turn it off, try to start it. 3-5 again. oh and i do have a new fuel filter too, but im wondering if its the pump or the regulator/injectors?

any insight/advice would be great.
-Pedro

FunFordCobra

Reaction score
Mine is the same.

1997 with over 200k miles.. Cold'ish start fires right up but when it's normal operating temp it takes a few secs to fire. I was gonna tune it up (coil, wires, plugs, cap'n'rotor) and see where that took me. Maybe PCV, EGR, MAF next.

I don't think it's a fuel issue because other then a 2 sec longer start....it runs like when I bought it.

OP
OP

96whitetahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is the same.

1997 with over 200k miles.. Cold'ish start fires right up but when it's normal operating temp it takes a few secs to fire. I was gonna tune it up (coil, wires, plugs, cap'n'rotor) and see where that took me. Maybe PCV, EGR, MAF next.

I don't think it's a fuel issue because other then a 2 sec longer start....it runs like when I bought it.

Now that you reminded me. 1996 199k miles... lol veerrryyy similar....

FunFordCobra

Reaction score
@ start up, mine back fired today..through the carb and out the back..alittle smoke for a sec and now it's been starting up fine all day..I think these vortech get sick and "cough" to get better?

our97ho

Reaction score
we had similar issue and after going thru the same check list as you finally changed the fuel pump and OMG what a wonderful difference it made!!

***Also (ours) it happens more when you have about 1/4 or less of a tank it will make it even worst!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo

Latest posts