Strange Dashboard Behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikentosh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Friends and fellow travelers,

Just wanted to share some information about an experience with my 2016 Yukon Denali. Ignoring some seemingly small problems ended up causing me some bigger ones.

I started having issues with some of the object sensors around the vehicle, and I assumed some of this was due to a problem in the wiring harness which I had heard could be melted by the exhaust. I believe this is a GM design problem and is poorly engineered, but it is way out of warranty. I started noticing errors coming up on the dash about the object warning system and I ignored them thinking that it wasn’t a big deal. I figured the notices about cars in another lane we’re just a luxury that I could do without.

Then the cruise control stopped working completely. I have the adaptive cruise control system in the vehicle that keeps your distance between the vehicle in front of you and it’s very nice. You get spoiled by it. There was a notice on startup about the front camera failed. Not only did the adaptive cruise control stop working, the normal cruise control also stopped working. Another nod to the poor engineering decisions by GM.

I was by then frustrated enough to look around for blown fuses and I did find one for one of the sensors in the vehicle that I think was on the right rear. This also added to my suspicion about the wiring harness problem, but at that point, I didn’t have time to break down the vehicle and fix it all myself.

At that time, there were about five or six notices on the dash when you started it up. All of which were being ignored having to just drive the thing back and forth to work.

This lead to the car finally failing on my wife she was leaving work one day. She started the vehicle and went to drive off, and the dash popped up with a notice saying Start Vehicle to View Application, but the engine was already running:

Dash Photo.jpeg

The vehicle was already driving so this warning didn’t make sense. All of the gages were as shown as she drove. She stopped on the way home to do an errand and when she got back in the vehicle, it wouldn’t start at all. This lead to having it towed to the dealership for them to diagnose. I was not unable to do it myself because I was away for work.

My Yukon ended up being at the dealership for about two months waiting for backordered sensors and a wiring harness. During that time I thought maybe there was a computer issue with the car and all I could see were dollar signs. The dealership ended up replacing the wiring harness, two different modules, and the fuse. The parts were around $1200 and the labor was around $800. I was really worried that once they finished that work, they would find other problems with the vehicle. I couldn’t believe that a couple of sensors in the bumper and a wiring harness would cause such a high level problem in the system.

Boy was I glad to be wrong. After replacing these two modules, the wiring harness, and putting in the fuse, everything went back to normal. The front camera started working. The advanced cruise control started working. Everything is back to normal now. The only issue with the vehicle that comes up on the dash when I start it is the TPMS and I believe that’s because the sensor batteries are dead.

While it was in the shop, I had the dealer install new OEM struts. They were around $1700 for the parts and around $500 for labor. It rides like new.

So pleased that this all turned out for the good and at 155,000 miles she is still making my wife feel safe and comfortable. Another Yukon is definitely in our plans for the future, but this one has a ways to go.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great to read that your issues are resolved, and the truck is back on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar