OBX Headers, LEAKS!??!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skbishop90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed some OBX headers and off road Y around Christmas time. The ****** gaskets that came with them eventually blew out on the passenger side and I replaced that side with AC Delco multi layer gaskets.

Now I am getting a small ticking/leaking sounds from the same area. Its not an engine tick and sounds like a "long tube header tick" just louder. If anyone has ever owned a car with long tubes, theres a small tick, that is probably not noticeable unless you stick your head under the car. This sounds just like that but louder.

HOW CAN I FIND A LEAK?!?! This is driving me nuts. I dont think its necessarily the gaskets again. I dont see any soot residue or an obvious crack or damage in the headers themselves.

shakedown067

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can hear the valves clatter after installing my OBX headers. No exhaust leaks with the GM header gaskets. Is it more than just valve noise?

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always seafoam the truck to find out if its leaking somewhere.

OP
OP
skbishop90

skbishop90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think its valvetrain. It wasnt there before. Ive taken a mechanics stethoscope to the header, cylinder head and valve cover. I hear it a little in the header, very little in the head and none in the valve cover.

I was thinking about running something through the engine to make it smoke temporarily to find the leak but wanted to do this as a last resort since I will likely foul the plugs in the process. The plugs are brand new since the tune.

HoeRyder26

Reaction score
Remflex gaskets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Do a smoke test if you don't want to do sea foam

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Take the point off the stethoscope and replace it with brake line. Then you can hear exhaust leaks. That's how we find the leaks at my exhaust shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts