NV4500 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i see the first on in the t-case diagram that sows it goes on the shift motor. the other shows up in the dash so far. can you get me some views of the area please?

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and I realize I'm showing how mentally handicapped I am, but would it not be cleaner to run the wires from the engine bay to their respective places (clutch safety switch, transfer case tailhousing, etc) rather than splicing together from off of the tranny selector switch? Is it personal preference as much as anything else? Thanks!

DNeel

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
as long as it is clean, functional, reliable and secure I don't think it matters to much in your case. not that many wires to do. for the starter just make sure the clutch switch interrupts the relay coil circuit and not the power circuit it controls.

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here goes. Stopped by NAPA and bought some extra plugs that I didn't need after all. I found them up under the truck after I got everything organized a little better.

20151104_173756_zpsiadamenp.gif
As labeled this is the clutch safety switch. I've read chaingun's writeup and will wire this into the pins in the wiring up under the driver's side dash. Hopefully that won't be too difficult. I'll wire in the control and not the main power side like SLC said.

20151104_173800_zpso5agav9u.gif
Transfer case switch as above. Cut this one out and will wire it in to fit the NP241 as soon as I can figure out what wires go where.

20151104_173805_zps8ambe3uj.gif
This one goes on top of the NV4500 for reverse light kick on. I'll have some extra LEDs on the back hitch to really light up the back end while I'm reversing. The tint makes it very difficult to see much of anything at night. So the pink and green wires come from the circular plug with about a dozen wires in/out of it...i think i know which pink wire to pull.
20151104_173809_zpsqxtwuhts.gif
ABOVE Speed sensor ties into the auto selector switch (PRND32) as previously stated by SLC. See below. This will plug into the tailshaft housing on the NP241 and give me odo/speedo back.
20151104_174939_zpsgfp4ucc3.gif
ABOVE This is the transmission plug with it's 8234934 wires. It was my understanding that the reverse switch came from the auto tranny switch but there are 2 pink wires. SLC please confirm in your post above (post #5 on this thread). You refer to both the "auto tranny control harness" and the auto tranny switch. Based on the two purple wires you discuss as needing to go to the clutch safety switch, I'm going to call this the control harness and the black plastic driver side PRND32 module as the auto tranny switch. So, of the two pink wires below which one is headed to the Reverse switch on the front driver side of the NV4500? pin E on wiring diagrams if I'm not mistaken (unlikely). The other pink seems to be a transmission pressure sensor wire...
20151104_174950_zps2677qocg.gif
These below are the two groups of the wires going to the auto tranny switch (PRND32). I see the green (with black line) and the purple (with white line) wires for the speed sensor on the tailhousing. I think its just a 2 wire module, not the 3 wire version.
20151104_175029_zpsieqeclg7.gif
20151104_175047_zps2wyaavmy.gif
again, above is the pair of purple wires that will go to the clutch safety switch on the master cylinder shaft.

The two other wires on the clutch safety switch (brown or black I think) are grounds, correct? Ideally I can ground those to a loop on a bolt in the cab.

Thanks SLC (and anyone else brave enough to dive into this madness).

DNeel

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing has been cut from the transmission plug above (round gray thing).

What wires do I tap into to re-wire the transfer case indicator switch. From what I read the actuator on the front diff has to be told to "activate" to have 4x4. So the switch on the NP241 sends a signal to the front diff actuator and then you get 4x4. I've looked at the wires from the 4L60e and cant find info on what to splice together to get it to run. Got the speedo back. The wiring harness had a different two prong setup (smaller than the 241) but the same green/black and purple/white wires made her get running. Nevermind she was blocked up and in 4th in the garage to get the speedo running again. The clutch safety switch is rigged up and working safely, just not permanently fixed. The only things I have left are the reverse light switch and the transfer case indicator switch. Just need the wires necessary to wire them up. Thanks

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NP241_zpsnoit6q2i.gif
Got the speed sensor put together. It's just twisted together but it works. Found a mini sized 2 prong connector that was smaller than the connector on the NP241 tailhousing however the wires are the same. Had the truck jacked up in the garage, spliced the two purple wires on the tranny harness together so she'd start, and put it in fourth gear, dropped the clutch and the speedo read great! So exciting to get started getting things back together.
4x4%20switch%20top%202_zpsqc7htqvh.gif
This is the 4x4 switch (above) from under the driver seat under the vehicle.
4x4%20switch%20TOP_zpspvqanp3w.gif
This is the best shot i could get from on top of the NP241. Apparently I have a 2 prong model for the 4x4 actuator switch. If I look under the truck, I think there is another 2 prong dongle in the mess of wires that is black wire/red wire. Does that sound reasonable for the 4x4 actuator switch to activate the front differential? I guess I could rig them together and see what what the 4x4 differential does. I've looked high and low trying to find the wiring diagram. Can't find it. I could tear the harness apart with all 189,000 miles of road grime on it but I'd rather not.

Hopefully I'll get her running tomorrow and see what I can get going.

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems as though the light blue wire in the harness will give power to the switch and a brown wire runs from the switch to the front differential actuator. So the switch completes the circuit when in 4Lo or 4Hi. I'll see what I can do

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
connected the brown wire in the xfer case module (from the 243) to the switch and grounded the other side and blew the 4x4 fuse in the interior fuse panel. Not sure what that taught me but it's something. Seems like I'm barking up the right tree.

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What? Have I been black balled or something?

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a 2 prong switch today at the yard. we'll see if I can get her working.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924