NV4500 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
carefully lift vehicle up and secure the lift to axle and arms if safe enough to do so and have someone phantom drive it while looking under neath. cn you get your hands on a vibration tester from fluke?

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have the wife drive it while I crawl under and post up the camera. I assume I'm looking for anything out of the ordinary...I do not have access to a fluke vibration meter. I'll keep at it. Thanks SLC

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some packages today.

ORD shackle flip came with the u bolt flip kit (need new ones anyway). Also bought a zero rate set of "blocks" for the shackle flip kit. Should keep me busy for a few days. Shackle flip gets rid of the blocks so hopefully my axle wrap will be lessened. I can then get a CV shaft and hopefully be finished with the stupid driveline vibration.

20160108_173706_zpsinpnuzar.jpg

Got some decent shocks for the old worn out superlift shocks.
20160108_173641_zpshfik4usb.jpg

And if that wasn't enough, here's a little front end rebuilding material. Whole order and they only sent me one wrong tie rod end. That should be here Monday (like I'll be anywhere near finished by then).
20160108_173633_zpsppgn0qj7.jpg

Considering fixing the leaking oil pan gasket while I have the front end apart. Doesn't seem like too much more work to knock that out while I'm there. I'll post up in a couple years when I've finished.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While doing the lower control arm bushings last night, this was my mantra...

MUST NOT DO SOLID AXLE SWAP

If I somehow exceeded the grace of Jesus on the cross and I end up in hell, my job will be to repair an endless pile of lower control arm bushings with only a twig and a small rock...

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the rear end done (shackle flip, u bolt flip, and new shocks). Trying to get rid of the axle wrap. On to the front end. Got new ball joints and bushings all around, new shocks, tie rod ends, pitman/idler arm components. And this beauty showed up when family came down from Tulsa for my boy's 4th birthday...

20160205_202637_zpswokwj2wf.gif

Was gonna do the SYE but as this is not an offroad vehicle, thought I might try to save a little coin with just a slip yoked CV shaft. Hope I don't end up regretting my decision.
We'll see if this will correct my driveline vibration!

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CV driveshaft is in! No driveline vibration. Gigantic sigh of relief. However the alignment is bad enough to make any cop think that I'm driving this Tahoe with a 5th of jack in me. Probably going to tow it in and get it done right. I forgot my son got hold of the steering wheel when I had her all apart. should have paid more attention to that. Oh well, if it's not one thing it's another.

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aligned up pretty good, camber and castor are good. Spec sheet is impressive (how bad it was when I started).
Thanks again to all those that helped guide this blind retard through a big rebuild of what's turning into a pretty kick ass truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justjacks07

Latest posts