NT420S 305/40/22 vs NT420V 305/45/22 with 5/7 drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

langsbr

Reaction score
On another note - the reason I got different tires was because Discount Tire said that the 305s were too big for a 9.5" wheel, despite having put 2 sets of them on the truck in the past. I had only called because their website wouldn't let me order them for an Escalade and I figured it was a way to prevent people from ordering the wrong tires, but no - they absolutely refused to order and install the 305s.

The manager called me a couple hours after I called to try and order them and apologized for the issue. He gave me a little spiel about it being unsafe enough that bad things have happened multiple times, etc. I did mention that they apparently only learned of this 'issue' since they had let me purchase no less than 2 sets of that exact tire previously. He agreed they made a mistake and for the trouble he comp'd me a full set of Nitto NT420V 285/40/22s. I was shocked and not expecting that at all. I've always had excellent service from Discount Tire and this was no different. The technicians took extreme care in mounting them (they are reverse mount so the face has to be down on the machine) and they were SUPER cautious and made sure there were no scratches. I cannot recommend Discount Tire enough.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
On another note - the reason I got different tires was because Discount Tire said that the 305s were too big for a 9.5" wheel, despite having put 2 sets of them on the truck in the past. I had only called because their website wouldn't let me order them for an Escalade and I figured it was a way to prevent people from ordering the wrong tires, but no - they absolutely refused to order and install the 305s.

The manager called me a couple hours after I called to try and order them and apologized for the issue. He gave me a little spiel about it being unsafe enough that bad things have happened multiple times, etc. I did mention that they apparently only learned of this 'issue' since they had let me purchase no less than 2 sets of that exact tire previously. He agreed they made a mistake and for the trouble he comp'd me a full set of Nitto NT420V 285/40/22s. I was shocked and not expecting that at all. I've always had excellent service from Discount Tire and this was no different. The technicians took extreme care in mounting them (they are reverse mount so the face has to be down on the machine) and they were SUPER cautious and made sure there were no scratches. I cannot recommend Discount Tire enough.

I actually just got a set of Michelin 305/40/22s. I hope I don't regret changing sizes due to rubbing.

Michelin doesn't offer a 285/40/22 and the cost of the 295/40/22 was about twice that of the 305 for some reason.

OP
OP
L

langsbr

Reaction score
I actually just got a set of Michelin 305/40/22s. I hope I don't regret changing sizes due to rubbing.

Michelin doesn't offer a 285/40/22 and the cost of the 295/40/22 was about twice that of the 305 for some reason.

With the 305s, the truck had basically a half inch of travel before it would rub, and that is after cutting a good portion of the inner fender out. It would rub the firewall side well before full lock, and all the plastic is worn away. I have to spray some paint to cover the exposed metal periodically.

I think there is too much variation in brands of tires to know for sure if they are indeed the same size, but the 305s did fill the wheel well up a lot more. I'm glad to have the 285s since our roads suck so bad here it keeps from scraping much better now. I had considered 285/45/22 but if I recall, that had a taller sidewall than 305/40 and I didn't want to go any taller, so I' grateful for the half inch shorter sidewall of the 285/40s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick