noob needs help with xm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scarter

Reaction score
here's what i have. 2007 chevy tahoe lt. mine is one of the very few that did not come stock with an xm tuner. from what i'm told the receiver is xm ready (big knob in center) it's the 9 speaker bose. my local dealership doesn't have much experience with customers ordering an xm tuner (rural area) so i have been looking on ebay at oem tuners. now here are my questions.

1. none of the tuners on ebay have any wires/cables/antennas. just a box tuner. what else will i need to buy and where can i purchase the necessary equipment to make it work?

2. some sellers say their tuner is "unlocked" and that if i buy on that is not unlocked it will not activate and i will have to send it off and it will cost$$$. they say the tuner learns the vin# of the original vehicle and will not work in any other until they become unlocked. is this true or false?

3. i have no experince at all in this area is this something a noob can attempt to install himself? if not does a dealership have to install or any audio install place do the job..

thanks guys basically i don't like the plug and play set up and i want to have xm radio thru my factory stereo and have use of my controls on my steering wheel. thanks for any help.