Non functioning parking brake SOLVED.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V327839

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So some of you may remember the parking brake issue I was having that I posted in another section. Well, it has been solved. I’m posting this here in hopes more people will see this.
The (04 Suburban z71, stock 10 bolt rear axle) parking brake works by way of a lever on the backing plate. The round shoe sits in two pads: one side is the adjuster, the other is the “movement”. When the pedal is depressed, the cable is pulled, pulling on the lever. The lever actuates the shoe by way of a pin between the lever and the shoe pad. This pin resides in the hole between the shoe pads. After removing my axle, I took the whole mechanism apart and found the pin was not resting on the lever. It was jammed to one side. After pulling the pad and pin out, the lever snapped back into place. Replacing the pin and pad restored the action. The pin must go in and rest in the lever and it does not self align. You have to wiggle it a bit. So if you replace these parts and the parking brake doesn’t work, check that first. And yes, the whole shit show has to be disassembled to get to it. These parts are not accessible from the outside. Thank you gm.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh...what thread?

I was going to suggest adding some photos for reference. I often take photos with my phone and add circles in red so it's more clear what I'm talking about. I "think" it works well (?)

Also, I think you can edit your original thread and add: SOLVED.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
V

V327839

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Funny. I did sort of update the last post, and added a picture. I guess the pic never posted. I’ll have to go back and edit if I can. I wanted to post a pic of the axle I found on Facebook.
I also posted the solved post here in hopes to reach more people that may have questions as to how the parking brake works. But like I said, I’ll get over there and edit the original post.