Need help with parking brake.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V327839

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my 04 Sub won’t pass inspection due to non functioning parking brake. I fixed all the other things that failed and replaced the rear brakes/parking shoes. But I have now surmised that the lever that actuates the pb shoe slips out of its groove when applied, at least on the passenger side, rendering the brake useless. Pedal goes to floor and show doesn’t move. All parts are present and greased and move freely. The old shoes engaged albeit not enough. Now the new ones don’t at all. Is there something in that axle flange I may have knocked loose or is broken due to rust? What am I missing? I’ve had that assembly apart a bazillion times for adjustments, both sides, but can’t get it to work properly now. And thanks to Va, this one issue is holding up my inspection. Thanks fellas.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My parking brake didn't work when I bought my truck. I went through and rebuilt everything outside of the axles. Still nothing although...

A new adjustable parking brake cable may help a bit. This runs from the pedal to the rear end of the truck along the driver side frame member.

I found out the issue with my truck was the Brake Backing Plate. These have a tendency to wear down where the lever your pedal and that cable move, pivots to apply the parking brake shoe. Over time there's not enough leverage in the system to activate the parking brake anymore. IMO the metallurgy is lacking, it's aluminium which erodes too fast with use.

Link to part

I got some different ones for my truck from the junkyard. They helped my truck quite a bit but isn't perfect. I recommend buying new ones if you do that but would try a new cable first and COMPLETE service as it's a bit of a PITA to change the anchor plates. You have to remove the axles from the housing meaning there's a fair amount of disassembly involved. Although, most certainly something about anybody can do.

There are several styles so make sure you buy the right one... This is what my truck used but looked up for a 2005 1500 Suburban
1704139828472.png

OP
OP
V

V327839

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea. I did fail to mention the amount of rust present on the axle flanges. The passenger dust shield is almost completely gone. I have considered the rust to be why it doesn’t work as some small divot or intention has just finally rusted away. I’ll look into the cable though too. I appreciate it. I may just have to source a replacement axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts