Noise from Front Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often should the differentials be changed? Had a buddy that was going to help me do mine today but we got 5" of snow in Dallas so had to postpone.

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
I am going to drop the front diff on Thur and put new bearings in it. Thanks to the input I don't think it will be too hard.............Scott

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
Dropped the diff out tonight not too hard. Split the case, but can't get it apart. I have to find out how to removed pass axle, then the case will come apart. I can see a sel-lock pin holding the rod that holds the spider gears in. Need some input on how to get the axles out...... Thank You! Scott

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Givem a couple whacks with a mallot and they will come straight out. I don't know if you have to unbolt the right tube but I did. Make sure it all mates up when you put it back together. Mine didn't seal right and it's seeping. Gotta reseal it

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
A few smacks with a mallot and they came out. Having a hard time finding parts. Most of them have to be ordered and will be here Sat.
The bearings on the ring gear are badly pitted and they are the ones making the noise....Scott

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine were exactly the same. Pinion bearing was fine and ring gear still looked like new. The left bearing was especially pitted in mine. Glad it's all workin out for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269