Noise from Front Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front diff started to make big growling noise, I drained front diff oil and there was a handful of metal (from bearings I assume). Front diff is removed from vehicle and as soon as I get my transmission back together (still waiting for right parts), I'll dismantle front diff and have a look inside (Already bought new seals and bearings, hopefully nothing else than new bearings)

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
Amaz how much was the cost of new bearings and seals? I have not even checked yet...........Scott

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So dropped the front diff out this weekend. The driver side case bearing was pitted thrashed and just flat out bad. Changed both case bearings, threw some Royal Purple in there and grinding go bye bye. Job was pretty damn easy too. Took around 3 hours start to finish and that was with a couple stops to have a smoke and swig my beer.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Have any pics or instructions. I want to eventually do this, the whirlwind sound is a bit annoying. What bearing and seal replacements did you go with?

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take any pics when I did it but I just went to napa after I found that all i needed were the case bearings and picked them up. Like $70. Old ones come off the diff, press new ones on evenly, push seats into case and seal her up and bolt her back together. Getting the diff out is as easy as 1. driveshaft unbolted 2. breather line removed 3. CV axles unbolted 4. Steering rod unbolted from arm and pushed forward 5. Four diff nuts removed and out she comes. When you unbolt the housing you'll have to pry it some as it's sealed pretty good :). Good luck to ya, sorry I didn't think to take pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo