Noise from Front Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilmk123

Reaction score
I have a 03 Denali that is making a noise from the driver side front diff. When coming to a stop under load it growls. When out of gear the noise is gone. ( not brakes and I have replaced both front hub assys because one was bad). I am sure it is a bearing.
I am wanting to know if anybody has had this problem or had the front diff apart and what it took to fix it ? I would like to know where I could get a diagram of the diff. Everytime I have tried to use Haynes book before and they never have what I am looking for....Thank You!....Scott

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue in my 03 nali. I've been browsing the net and the 2 most common answers I have found is carrier bearings and rebuild fron diff. I'm going to drop the fluid out of my diff this week and take a look at how much junk is in there.

heftylefty58

Reaction score
Coincidentally, I also have an 03 YD, and I ended up getting the front fully rebuilt 3 months ago (@ ~63k mi).

I'm in San Jose, CA, and here's what I ended up paying for:
1 used 8.25 - 3.73: $120
1 bearing kit: $100
2 axle seals: $40
2 retaining clips: $6
2qts oil/gasket: $20
labor: $450
total after tax: $762.45

(FYI, some experts on another forum said that I probably really didn't need the $120 used gears...)

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm worried I'll probably have to rebuild mine. It's almost like a scraping below 40mph under part throttle then when I let off it goes away and goes away completely on the highway. Even with this issue I still have no regrets buying this truck.

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
I am going to fix my problem my self. I am just trying to get all the info I can before I start. I will pass it all along.
I am still looking for a diagram of the front Diff.....Scott

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck!! I've read on a couple other forums that this is a pita job to do and getting it even a little wrong can be just as bad as not doing it at all. Let me know how it comes out for ya bud. I want to try it myself but I've never done one so I'm scared that it'll cost me more in the long run

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that confuses me with mine is you'd think that with bearing noise it would vary with speed and such. Mine isn't variable at all, it's just there on the gas and gone off the gas.

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
Rich mine is the same way. I had it up on a hoist and the noise is coming from the drivers side front diff . It is a bearing. I am planning on taking out the diff and putting it on the work bench and tearing into it. Has anyone here done this before? It does not look to be that hard.......Scott

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Mine have been whining a bit at certain speeds since I bought the truck. I swapped fluids to royal purple synthetic and the noise diminished, however some whine still remains. To address this issue I do cookies whenever the weather permits and nothing has let go in the past 30k :shrug:

IMG_0614.jpg

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich mine is the same way. I had it up on a hoist and the noise is coming from the drivers side front diff . It is a bearing. I am planning on taking out the diff and putting it on the work bench and tearing into it. Has anyone here done this before? It does not look to be that hard.......Scott

I've heard that the bearing change isn't very hard but putting everything back together can be a bit of a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz