No Spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was on my way to work this morning when my truck sputtered out. I thought I was out of gas, but that wasn't it. I pulled a plug and they looked like the originals with several electrodes just trashed so they probably have 220K miles on them. I replaced 'em, but I still have no spark.

Any troubleshooting tips you guys could give me...in my infinite wisdom, I left my haynes at work.

OP
OP
h0tr0d

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I just checked it at the plug. I'm not quite sure how to test the ignition coil. I'll see what I can dig up on google aboue the process.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Then if you did several plug wires it safe to say you cap is probably fine. Just process of elimination. Sorry.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

there is a tester that wires plug into and clips to a ground.

If you can get to one.
0V_Fyc1E4aK4_c5gqQt1NWixOgFvhax66HUs9bFm2IO6VlwgIQ.jpg
QcPmJ9RiLdGLVBzJnESI4SzlPnofkUeGxEVREzCFLmmAAX3rIX.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

I have the later but never had to use it.

OP
OP
h0tr0d

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the resistance readings are supposed to be between the three pins of the coil? It looks like no matter which way I try, I'm getting 0.1 ohms between the pins.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Wait for it....

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

This is for a 96 but should work for you too.

Testing and Inspection

IGNITION COIL TEST

1. Disconnect the distributor lead and wiring from the ignition coil. CAUTION : Do not Insert the J 39200 probe into the ignition coil connectors. The female terminals could be spread and deformed, resulting In intermittent operation of the coil. Be sure to make contact with only the front edge of the terminals.
  2. Connect an ohmmeter as shown in Figure, step 1. Use the high scale. The reading should be infinite. If not, replace the coil.
  3. Connect the ohmmeter as shown in Figure, step 2. Use the low scale. The reading should be 0.2 - 0.5 ohms. If not, replace the coil.
  4. Connect the ohmmeter as shown in Figure, step 3. Use the high scale. The meter should read 5k - 25k ohms. If not, replace the coil.
  5. Reconnect the distributor lead and wiring to the coil.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Print it out before the image changes.

OP
OP
h0tr0d

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome man! Thanks so much....I'm going to run outside and test it now.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Ok, the coil resistance was fine and I attached a spark plug wire directly to the coil and got spark. I suppose the next step is to replace the distributor cap and rotor.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Always inspect first. Don't waste it if you don't need it. Although it seems obvious already that something is wrong in the distributor.
Do I dare ask if your dist is not gear loose or broken chained . With your cap off check the orientation of rotor and shock the starter briefly and recheck to make sure it moves. Congrats on making your own tester. Tack weld a self supporting ground clip on it for safety sake later.:shocked:

Last edited:
OP
OP
h0tr0d

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help man...you saved me. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor and she's purring like a kitten again. I'm guessing since the spark plugs were so terrible, it caused the distributor to break down. The underside of the distributor terminals were corroded white and the rotor was very black and deformed.

I've never tried a tester before, that might come in handy one day. I always just touch the threads of the spark plug to the exhaust manifolds and hold on to the boot of the plug wire.