No some light on open door, AFTER switch replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1999 Yukon

Replaced my headlight switch and now the interior lights won't come on when doors open.

The lights work when I push the buttons and when I rotate the wheel on the light switch.

The door switches are good as it still chimes when the key is left in...

I've tried doing the dome override in, our and sideways but to no avail.

I replaced the switch because it was the original and the dome override didn't work.....

So the lights came on no problem when i opened the door BEFORE and now I've got nothing.

The lights work independently, just not when the door opens

Could it just be a shit part?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still have the old switch?

Guessing that you don’t, I’d probably try returning it for another one. Could be an issue with the dome override switch being stuck internally or something.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still have the old switch

Override didnt work there either. Is there something else I should be looking at...

Or is it most likely the switch

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant do the door lights come on with the old switch reinstalled? If so, then I’d agree that the new switch is a bum part.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent tried to reinstall the old switch yet.

With the old switch in place, to begin with, the dome light came on when doors opened.

The original issue was the dome override on the OLD switch didnt work, which is what led to me replacing it.

SO now...

With NEW switch in:
NO lights on door open, any door.

BUT I can manually turn them on via the wheel on the switch. I can turn other overhead lights on via individual switches.

AND tonight I discovered that when I lock the car via key fob, the dome lights will come on briefly.

So it seems like they will come on in every instance except the opening of a door.

I dont know if the points to a defective override function in the new switch... OR there is something else because the override wasnt operational in the old switch... now the symptoms have sort of reversed.

What else is there in the system that could be failed?
Again, this is with ANY door... I doubt that all door switches failed at once.

Plus the fuse is good, obviously because they come on....... is there another system that operates this that I can look at?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345