No oil pressure on start up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richs1

Reaction score
I searched but didn’t find exact issue, but I could just suck at searching on here….

2012 Tahoe LTZ. Randomly on startup, zero oil pressure. Rev engine to 2000rpms and gauge jumps up to 40. Stays around 40 during the drive, idles about 26-30.

Any ideas what is causing it to register zero on startup? I have changed the sensor and screen, still having the issue.

I appreciate any help I can get.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched but didn’t find exact issue, but I could just suck at searching on here….

2012 Tahoe LTZ. Randomly on startup, zero oil pressure. Rev engine to 2000rpms and gauge jumps up to 40. Stays around 40 during the drive, idles about 26-30.

Any ideas what is causing it to register zero on startup? I have changed the sensor and screen, still having the issue.

I appreciate any help I can get.
Pump losing prime? Not sure. Let's start by asking what brand and weight oil are you using? What oil filter are you using? How long has this been going on?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with ^^^James.

Does it do it only after it has sat for a while, like over night?

OP
OP
richs1

richs1

Reaction score
It’s random, can be cold start or after driving and it’s been parked for 20 min. No clear cut “time”. Doesn’t do it every time.

Running mobile 1 5w30 with mobile 1 filter. That’s what I run in my other Tahoe(2011) and my C5.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s random, can be cold start or after driving and it’s been parked for 20 min. No clear cut “time”. Doesn’t do it every time.

Running mobile 1 5w30 with mobile 1 filter. That’s what I run in my other Tahoe(2011) and my C5.
And has it only just begun, dang, another song, since the last oil change? If so, I would put in a new oil filter.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dammit. You're not making this easy.

What happens if you don't rev it when it's at zero?

OP
OP
richs1

richs1

Reaction score
And has it only just begun, dang, another song, since the last oil change? If so, I would put in a new oil filter.

No, it’s been doing it since I bought it a month ago, the previous owner is the one that told me about it, so it’s been going on for a while.

OP
OP
richs1

richs1

Reaction score
Dammit. You're not making this easy.

What happens if you don't rev it when it's at zero?
I haven’t had the guts to just let it sit and see. I don’t know if it will come up on its own or not. I will add, there is. Zero engine noise, no ticks at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157