No more chrome!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red_Raider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the ride prepped the other night for today. I painted all of the chrome accents I had left i.e. Front and rear bumper along with the chrome strip on the grill. I also painted the billet insert black.Now she looks like a Z71 model. I just need to get the black suburban valance.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good. How did you paint it?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To complete the z71 look you should get the z71 lower bumper with the round fog lights

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got the ride prepped the other night for today. I painted all of the chrome accents I had left i.e. Front and rear bumper along with the chrome strip on the grill. I also painted the billet insert black.Now she looks like a Z71 model. I just need to get the black suburban valance.

I got my paintable grille on the way fixing to do what you just did to mine
Looks great btw

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome man. I'm going white and black as well. Truck looks sick.

Paint that hitch black though lol

OP
OP
Red_Raider

Red_Raider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. How did you paint it?

1. Wash the chrome bumper with soap and water. Wipe it down with wax and grease remover to remove any fingerprints or dust.

2. Use 36-grit sandpaper and a dual action sander on the entire bumper if the chrome is peeling, flaking or has large cracks. If the chrome is smooth and in good shape, use 80-grit sandpaper. Sand the entire chrome bumper until there are no shiny spots to

3. Wipe with wax and grease remover and then spray the entire bumper with self-etching primer. This type of primer grabs onto the metal, allowing later coats of primer and paint to stick to the chrome. Allow it to dry completely.

4. Spray regular automotive primer to the bumper, directly on top of the self-etching primer. Spray two thin coats, allowing each to dry completely before moving on.

5. Sand the primer lightly with 800-grit sand paper, keeping the paper wet while sanding. Sand the primer without reaching the chrome surface. If you sand through the primer, reapply the primer and sand again, repeating the former steps. Allow the bumper to dry completely.

6. Spray the paint on the bumper in light, even coats. Use four coats of paint, allowing each to dry completely before applying another coat.

7. Apply three clear coats to the painted bumper, allowing each coat to dry before applying another

To complete the z71 look you should get the z71 lower bumper with the round fog lights

That's my next mod. I probably go through RockAuto using the discount code.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Thanks guys! The hitch is just plastidip from a previous failed experiment with just painting the plastics. I'll be pulling it off for sure though.

Last edited:

Neil Layne

Steel Neil
Reaction score
that looks fantastic man. it is becoming my favorite nbs tahoes. the only thing i would change is maybe a black outline around the front chevy emblem, that way you could see it and still get the effect of the whiteout look. thats just me though. looks perfect man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thathighlife7