No communication with obd2 scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkcarter77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 2009 gmc yukon with a remote start, pretty sure it's factory because the button is on the fob. I just bought this vehicle 2 days ago and the check engine light came on. No bug deal as it's expected sometimes, but what is the big deal is that I don't have communication with my scanner. It does power up when plugged in

I know the scanner works because I tested it out on my ford explorer and taurus. It says communication error. Could it be because of the remote start? And where do you suggest I start looking first? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet because I had to go to work but thought I'd get a head start by asking on here.

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
B

bkcarter77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check your fuses first, the ones to the cigar lighters. This is usually the cause of the OBDII connectors not being able to talk to the car.
Will do, but I figured since it had power it would work.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep check the fuses for cigarette adapter
hmm, cel after 2-days my spidey sense say's cat code, previous owner or dealer probably cleared it before sale.
(pure speculation).....

OP
OP
B

bkcarter77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hmm, cel after 2-days my spidey sense say's cat code, previous owner or dealer probably cleared it before sale.
(pure speculation).....
That's what I'm thinking. Lucky I have a warranty on it. I'll figure out what it is abd I'll be contacting the dealership tomorrow.

OP
OP
B

bkcarter77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
(pure speculation).....
I did notice the second time I put gas in it the nozzle would keep clicking off and I would have to fill it slow. Would that cause a check engine light?

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
Hahahaha………… funny you bring up the check engine light so soon after purchase. I bought my 2011, no codes or initial issues upon inspection. Within a few days the check engine light popped on. I had already planned to have my local mech go over the truck, but it turned out to be the cats. I even plugged an OBD in it when I drove the truck.

Called the small dealer. He offered to come get it and have it fixed, or send me a check. We agreed on a price, and check showed up a few days later.

OP
OP
B

bkcarter77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hahahaha………… funny you bring up the check engine light so soon after purchase. I bought my 2011, no codes or initial issues upon inspection. Within a few days the check engine light popped on. I had already planned to have my local mech go over the truck, but it turned out to be the cats. I even plugged an OBD in it when I drove the truck.

Called the small dealer. He offered to come get it and have it fixed, or send me a check. We agreed on a price, and check showed up a few days later.
I can't even bring up the code right now. I'm honestly thinking it's the gas or vent line being clogged. I can only put gas in very slowly. Everything seems to be running fine but I plan on calling them tomorrow if I can't figure it out by trying a couple things

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be the fuel vent/vapor solenoids and canister, easier to just shot gun all 3 pieces and call it day, oem parts run just under $200 and takes about an hour to do yourself

OP
OP
B

bkcarter77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
could be the fuel vent/vapor solenoids and canister, easier to just shot gun all 3 pieces and call it day, oem parts run just under $200 and takes about an hour to do yourself
Most likely what I'll do when we get warm weather again. Would that cause a check engine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckWild62