NNBS Roof Rack Delete How-To (With Lots of Pictures!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kysrsze

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the roof rack delete on my 2011 Tahoe LT today and wanted to share the process complete with photos and a walk through. I noticed the other "go to" posts don't have working photos any more. Hopefully this helps some of you that are looking to do the same.

This project is EASY and should take even a novice approximately 30 minutes.

Tools Needed:
  • Drill or Screwdriver
  • T25 Torx Bit
  • Flathead Screwdriver

Hardware Needed:
  • 10x M6-1.0 x 16mm Pan Head Screws
  • Locktite Thread Sealant
  • Spraypaint (close to matching your car paint color)

Prepatory Work:

Prep Step 1: Push each screw through a piece of cardboard. This will help ensure you paint only the top of the screws.

rjnOjgJ.jpg

Prep Step 2: Paint the screw tops. I would recommend at least two coats. Let the paint dry while you take the roof rack off.

8UCFG8T.jpg

Ke4IfpD.jpg

rX7qLDE.jpg

Here is what I started with.

zH0xZoC.jpg

3S5r52E.jpg

5revOFq.jpg

Step 1: Remove the T25 Torx screws (left and right) on the back of the rack.

U9uNb74.jpg

TT7h7BO.jpg

Step 2: GENTLY pry up on the tab in between the two torx screws, this will allow you to slide the rear plastic cover off. In the image below you can see the tab under the plastic cover. Use a flathead screwdriver to gently release the clip will pulling the plastic cover toward the rear of the car. Do the other side also.

UcsDnZ0.jpg

Step 3: Slide the plastic cover off of the rail. If your truck is less than brand new, there will likely be a lot of dirt under the cover. Do the other side.

zB0vpSm.jpg

Step 4: Release the slide locks on the cross bars and slide them off the rails.

FwNCa7c.jpg

KoamFfV.jpg

Step 5: Remove the screws from the center supports on both sides of the vehicle. The center supports are attached to the rails by plastic clips. No need to release the clips, just leave them attached.

6gHlecR.jpg

Step 6: Remove the two screws from the two front plastic mounts (located over the B-pillars). The roof rack is now completely free and able to be removed.

fnWI0mZ.jpg

Tx0bswZ.jpg

Step 7: At this point, you may want to grab a rag, some soap, and some water to clean up the dirty spots where the roof rack sat against the roof. You will notice in my pictures below, there is a raised wax ring where the plastic parts touched the roof. I will have to work on removing these.

7v4FEy2.jpg

28mAuJq.jpg

KWOXGRE.jpg

ep60cXY.jpg

Step 8: Put locktite on your newly painted screws and screw them snugly into the holes in your roof.

1hslPtz.jpg

iL5DkMo.jpg

ww3UeDM.jpg

UZcjdXL.jpg

Step 9: Enjoy your new clean roof!

YVSMxKD.jpg

6OY2mn4.jpg

H5Rpmwc.jpg

f9TCpnY.jpg

dnACvx5.jpg

7Xu8ZOx.jpg

minytrker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How critical is the length of the screws, they only had 20mm long and did not have any 16mm when I went.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. I went through this last Spring or so (before I got my esky rack) and found out I just couldn't handle having the screws sticking up like that. So rackless just isn't for me unless all those holes are welded shut and then the roof painted.

minytrker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the 20mm screws without any issue. I really like the look without the rack but not sure I can live with the screw heads.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Could never live with screw heads or any other plug. It would have to be smooth, or like others have done, put some painted molding like the Joe Gibbs Tahoes were. Bravo on the pics and write up though.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could never live with screw heads or any other plug. It would have to be smooth, or like others have done, put some painted molding like the Joe Gibbs Tahoes were. Bravo on the pics and write up though.

The problem with most molding is it will still be "lumpy" where it goes over the screws and/or holes

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up and good pics OP. :thumbsup:

(before I got my esky rack)

So that's why yours looks different. Every time I see your sig pic I keep looking and wondering what's different about the rack. :think: The Escalade thing just never crossed my mind... :shrug:

One more thing to add to my to-do list with my wife's Tahoe. I also couldn't live with the screws sticking out even though you probably can't even see them when standing next to it.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up and good pics OP. :thumbsup:

So that's why yours looks different. Every time I see your sig pic I keep looking and wondering what's different about the rack. :think: The Escalade thing just never crossed my mind... :shrug:

One more thing to add to my to-do list with my wife's Tahoe. I also couldn't live with the screws sticking out even though you probably can't even see them when standing next to it.

NathanJax has an Escalade Roof Rack that'd fit your Tahoe that he's going to be selling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk

Latest posts