Roof Rack Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKaechler

Reaction score
My 2011 Tahoe has a stock roof rack of the type where there is a lever latch that allows it to slide between a few preset points, and then you close the lever and latch it in that position. The problem is that it rattles in the wind in the highway.

I have been looking at it to see if there is a screw loose or something. No joy so far.

I also dont see this problem anywhere on this forum. Do any of you know of a solution? A solution that does not involve removing the rack :) I do have to carry a ladder up there from time to time.

Life_Of_TC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Amazon has some pretty nice universal cross bars that mount to the vehicles stock roof rack mount/bars for under $100.

Reaction score
My 2011 Tahoe has a stock roof rack of the type where there is a lever latch that allows it to slide between a few preset points, and then you close the lever and latch it in that position. The problem is that it rattles in the wind in the highway.

I have been looking at it to see if there is a screw loose or something. No joy so far.

I also dont see this problem anywhere on this forum. Do any of you know of a solution? A solution that does not involve removing the rack :) I do have to carry a ladder up there from time to time.
What positions are the cross bars in? The manual states that they may make noise from the wind if they're not positioned 18"-24" from the front/rear.

Screenshot_20230614-070025_Drive.jpg

OP
OP
JKaechler

JKaechler

Reaction score
thats interesting. i think its in the farthest forward postion. as a temporary solution i actually have it latched crooked. one side farther forward than the other. it is then in a bit of a bind and does not rattle.

tommorow i have a road trip to go see a client. i will see how far back they are before i head out

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with stock cross bars on my 2011 Tahoe. I just screwed them up a little crooked. well, i.e. not exactly across the car, but, as it were, with an offset, into a strut. and the strumming is gone. In general, we dismantled these crossbars. because you can’t put Boxing on them, they bend at speed and hit the roof of the car with boxing. you still use crossbars from some third-party manufacturer. Thule type.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this for the same issue on 2008 Tahoe. The clamp downs just do not get the crossbars tight on the rails and I can wiggle them enough to show why they rattle going down the road. We have not used them much so I can't imagine there is any wear. It is not wind noise as previously pointed out as location related but just plain old (loud) rattle in the wind.
I haven't tried it but though of putting the two crossbars side by side and tie wrapping them together to see if together they are more secure.

Anyone solved this short of just removing the crossbars?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys

Latest posts