NNBS Roof Rack Delete How-To (With Lots of Pictures!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 215807 View attachment 215807 View attachment 215807 I know I'm going to get the comment about how old this thread us that I am reviving but it is the best thread about this on the internet.

Has anyone thought about using set screws with a bit of sealant.? Those bumps would still stick up a little bit but I doubt anyone would see them.

I'm wondering if I'd need the right length for the set screws to bottom out in the holes, or if the loctite/sealant would be enough to hold them still.?

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Socket-Set-Screw-A2-Stainless-Steel-M6-x-1-0-p/401014.htm

View attachment 215808
I think this is a good idea. No idea on length, tho. I'd just get a few of varying lengths and do some trial and error checking. Definitely make sure you get it sealed up well so you don't invite an opportunity for leaks.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Are the threaded inserts in the roof blind? Or are they open all the way to the headliner? I see a couple of folks referring to some kind of trim used to cover the raised inserts. Does anyone have a pic showing what this looks like, or a link to what they've used? I plan to use ss set screws and plastic caps, painted to match. But if the trim looks better, I'm not opposed to changing my plans.

One quick word of advice. If you use anaerobic thread locking compound (Loctite) on the threads, wait a week before using plastic plugs or trim to cover them. The fumes given off by the compound will severely embrittle most plastics. Where I work we can't use Loctite anywhere near plastic parts for that reason. Before I learned this, I ruined a torque wrench handle with a couple of drops of Loctite. It fell apart in my hand the next time I went to use it.

FWIW, I'm glad this thread was revived. It has answered a bunch of questions I had about this mod.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
View attachment 215807 View attachment 215807 View attachment 215807 I know I'm going to get the comment about how old this thread us that I am reviving but it is the best thread about this on the internet.

Has anyone thought about using set screws with a bit of sealant.? Those bumps would still stick up a little bit but I doubt anyone would see them.

I'm wondering if I'd need the right length for the set screws to bottom out in the holes, or if the loctite/sealant would be enough to hold them still.?

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Socket-Set-Screw-A2-Stainless-Steel-M6-x-1-0-p/401014.htm

View attachment 215808
Pretty sure use enough Loctite and it'll stay in place. I just reused my stock bolts. They do stick out some(heads)but isn't noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins