New Yukon XL Denali owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to learning more about this thing.

Currently, both power seats don't work(driver side motors all click, passenger does nothing). Adjustable pedals dont move either (makes the seat motors click when I push the button). I had p0420/p0430 when I got it, but had to clear them trying to get it to start on the way home. It runs/drives fine, then will stall when warm coming to a stop. Then it is very hard to start (have to give it throttle etc).

Needs some interior pieces (arm rest, cover pieces).
ABS/TCS/Stabilitrack lights are on. May need something with the air ride as well (haven't heard the compressor come on, but no light for that).
I'm just going to start chipping away at the issues. Im not a pro mechanic, but have done my fair share of it. Its a secondary vehicle so not a big deal if it takes me some time to get everything ironed out. I have an 05 srt4, a 15 equinox, and a company vehicle that I can drive lol.
A Tech-2 (or equivalent) is going to be your best friend and absolutely essential in order to quickly diagnose problems, make that one of first tools you buy.

Sounds like you're going to need new cats and y-pipe. I put a Magnaflow y-pipe with cats on mine almost 5 years ago and still going strong.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
A Tech-2 (or equivalent) is going to be your best friend and absolutely essential in order to quickly diagnose problems, make that one of first tools you buy.

Sounds like you're going to need new cats and y-pipe. I put a Magnaflow y-pipe with cats on mine almost 5 years ago and still going strong.
thats a GM specific scanner? recommendation on where to get it or the equivalent?
is that due to the code I mentioned(I thought that meant 02 sensors lol)? it does have a decent exhaust leak when cold. good site to purchase stuff like that for it(exhaust)? may do headers while I've got it torn apart anyways(depending on factors of course lol).

thanks!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a GM specific scanner? recommendation on where to get it or the equivalent?
is that due to the code I mentioned(I thought that meant 02 sensors lol)? it does have a decent exhaust leak when cold. good site to purchase stuff like that for it(exhaust)? may do headers while I've got it torn apart anyways(depending on factors of course lol).

thanks!
Sometimes you can find them on Ebay, ChinaCarDiags seems to be the best currently. Look for software 33.004 and all the accessories.

P0420 and P0430 are catylitic converter codes but an exhaust leak can trigger a false positive. The O2 sensors have their own codes.

Stick with GM OE parts whenever possible as not all aftermarket parts play nice with the computer system, especially O2 sensors.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
Sometimes you can find them on Ebay, ChinaCarDiags seems to be the best currently. Look for software 33.004 and all the accessories.

P0420 and P0430 are catylitic converter codes but an exhaust leak can trigger a false positive. The O2 sensors have their own codes.

Stick with GM OE parts whenever possible as not all aftermarket parts play nice with the computer system, especially O2 sensors.
I looked over my current scanner, it does show PID stuff etc (its an Actron Autoscanner Plus). What would the tech2 show me that it doesn't?

Found 2 new issues today. Windshield wipers randomly start wiping the windshield with no rain. Im thinking bad control stalk?
Went to program new fobs (had none, just a key), went through steps fine in DIC, but when I hit the check mark button to start programing it doesnt change the screen etc(same for tire sensor reprogram). It never goes into programming mode. Check mark key works fine in any other menu.
Has a viper alarm system, does work but does not lock/unlock doors only sets alarm.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked over my current scanner, it does show PID stuff etc (its an Actron Autoscanner Plus). What would the tech2 show me that it doesn't?
It can turn on and off your light bulbs, do fuel injector balance tests, see your BCM and Chassis codes and a whole host of other things, not just related to the engine. If your scan tool does all these things, then you don't need the Tech-2.

Those early cars had Rainsense wipers (CE1) as an option. You can use a bi-directional scan tool to test the system out.

A Tech-2 or bi-directional scan tool can program the FOBs and find out why yours is not working as it should. I suspect a problem with your RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) and if you need a new one, it requires programming. The Tech-2 used to be able to do this as well and can with great difficulty since GM redesigned their website/protocols last year. Easier to use an MDI and a laptop with a subscription to ACDelco's TDS system for programming.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
It can turn on and off your light bulbs, do fuel injector balance tests, see your BCM and Chassis codes and a whole host of other things, not just related to the engine. If your scan tool does all these things, then you don't need the Tech-2.

Those early cars had Rainsense wipers (CE1) as an option. You can use a bi-directional scan tool to test the system out.

A Tech-2 or bi-directional scan tool can program the FOBs and find out why yours is not working as it should. I suspect a problem with your RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) and if you need a new one, it requires programming. The Tech-2 used to be able to do this as well and can with great difficulty since GM redesigned their website/protocols last year. Easier to use an MDI and a laptop with a subscription to ACDelco's TDS system for programming.
oh! Nope, it doesn't do all of that. Sorry, is there a place for me to ask these questions? Which one I should get? There is a ton of choices when I search for it. Would rather not guess lol. IE, would I need to buy the SPS2 24 month access, plus Light duty global diagnostics, plus Tech2Win?

It does have CE1 on the tag.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd want a Tech-2 with the 33.004 software and all the accessories which are used to power it up various ways and for self-tests, etc. Make sure it comes with the Candi module which your truck uses.

You do not need anything else to use it for diagnostics on your truck. It does not do programming anymore easily since ACDelco redid their website. For programming modules you need a laptop with an MDI or MDI2 adapter and a subscription to TDS. No need for Tech2Win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700