New Yukon XL Denali owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
You'd want a Tech-2 with the 33.004 software and all the accessories which are used to power it up various ways and for self-tests, etc. Make sure it comes with the Candi module which your truck uses.

You do not need anything else to use it for diagnostics on your truck. It does not do programming anymore easily since ACDelco redid their website. For programming modules you need a laptop with an MDI or MDI2 adapter and a subscription to TDS. No need for Tech2Win.

like this one?

ebay option
otherwise they seem to be in the 1200+ range. If Im spending that much (1200 plus) wouldn't I be better off getting a bi-directional scan tool and get a sub to TDS?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
www.chinacardiags.com has been used by many buyers here, including myself. The Tech 2 without the case does not have free shipping there, but the one with the case does, for about the same total price.

As @swathdiver noted, all you need to diagnose is the Tech 2 and the current GM software 33.004, which comes with it. You need TDS or a GM account only if you're going to be programming modules. I'm not sure about programming for your year, but the TIS2000 standalone software that runs on a WinXP computer is all I need to program modules on my 2004. All of the calibrations are in TIS2000, although it can be a challenge to get everything talking.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like this one?

ebay option
otherwise they seem to be in the 1200+ range. If Im spending that much (1200 plus) wouldn't I be better off getting a bi-directional scan tool and get a sub to TDS?
The Tech-2 is a bi-directional scan tool. Regarding the Ebay auction, it shows the case but says not included in the description. Considering inflation, that's not a bad price.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
The Tech-2 is a bi-directional scan tool. Regarding the Ebay auction, it shows the case but says not included in the description. Considering inflation, that's not a bad price.
Thank you! Sorry, First time hearing of this stuff. I'm used to just needing my obd-2 scanner to fix Most problems.
In regards to my wipers/rain sensing. I disconnected the rain sense thing on the windshield. It was still wiping, turned down the radio a little and noticed that whenever it was wiping I could hear the washer fluid motor running. So, not the rain sensor. Im guessing bad control stalk?

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
www.chinacardiags.com has been used by many buyers here, including myself. The Tech 2 without the case does not have free shipping there, but the one with the case does, for about the same total price.

As @swathdiver noted, all you need to diagnose is the Tech 2 and the current GM software 33.004, which comes with it. You need TDS or a GM account only if you're going to be programming modules. I'm not sure about programming for your year, but the TIS2000 standalone software that runs on a WinXP computer is all I need to program modules on my 2004. All of the calibrations are in TIS2000, although it can be a challenge to get everything talking.
Thank you for the clarification! I dont particularly care about reprogramming until its all fixed. The remotes were $20, if I can get everything fixed I can probably find someone that can do the reprogram for me (same with the tire sensors) if its too difficult.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Sorry, First time hearing of this stuff. I'm used to just needing my obd-2 scanner to fix Most problems.
In regards to my wipers/rain sensing. I disconnected the rain sense thing on the windshield. It was still wiping, turned down the radio a little and noticed that whenever it was wiping I could hear the washer fluid motor running. So, not the rain sensor. Im guessing bad control stalk?
Could be, we're just guessing without the Tech-2 which will usually tell you in mere moments what is wrong. It can also program your remotes and initiate the TPMS relearn (with EL-50448) in a short time as well. Don't need to connect to internet or have subscription for either of those tasks.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welcome & congrats. You’ve pretty much have a debaged Escalade. They’re crazy fast and made for safe navigation in the rain. After 100k they’re due for new injectors but will give a choppy idle if left alone. It’s a 300k+ mile motor we’re finding out. On you shopping list include replacements for the heater hoses and T’s and a GM clone scan tool to diagnose, chase and remotely operate all your accessories like a boss.

You can also painlessly update your module to add the factory 09-14 steering wheel controlled factory Bluetooth for calling. The factory 2/3G OnStar is officially dead at the end of this year but ping me if you’re interested in acquiring factory 4G service with digital mapping and BT options. We just did this to our 09.