New to the Govt Tahoes - Bought a 2010 and have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gawd I wonder how many hours are on that rig? My 2012 work PPV only has like 50k miles now but the engine hours must be near 30,000?
When I worked at a different agency we had some Crown Vic’s that looked brand new from the outside. Had only 2,000 miles or so, but had tens of thousands of idle hours. The interior looked like an angry leopard destroyed it.
Moral of the story: bring a scan tool to check engine hours (if it doesn’t already display in the DIC; my 2012 PPV doesn’t)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gawd I wonder how many hours are on that rig? My 2012 work PPV only has like 50k miles now but the engine hours must be near 30,000?
When I worked at a different agency we had some Crown Vic’s that looked brand new from the outside. Had only 2,000 miles or so, but had tens of thousands of idle hours. The interior looked like an angry leopard destroyed it.
Moral of the story: bring a scan tool to check engine hours (if it doesn’t already display in the DIC; my 2012 PPV doesn’t)

Border patrol turns their vehicles off. Bought mine with 96k miles and 4600 hours on it. My caprice ppv has 100k miles and 9500 hours on it.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm one of a few who have evidence to believe my hour meter has rolled over digitally, or was inadvertently reset during some type of servicing or programming. The miles and fuel use don't match my mileage, and anyone from NC can vouch that NCSHP rarely turns off their vehicles during shift.
20191013_194044.jpg 20191013_194058.jpg 20191013_194030.jpg

Sofi09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just reset my fuel used to reflect my personal usage

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Border patrol turns their vehicles off. Bought mine with 96k miles and 4600 hours on it. My caprice ppv has 100k miles and 9500 hours on it.

Ahhhh as a former employee I’m calling BS on that. I guess it all depends where the car came from. I’m sure there are some stations that have cars that sit without running. When it’s 105 degrees out with 100% humidity or 10 degrees out, you know why you’d want to leave it running and also to keep the good time radio tunes flowing. When I worked for the sheriff we’d keep them running 24/7 as the days would pass the car onto nights and so forth.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh as a former employee I’m calling BS on that. I guess it all depends where the car came from. I’m sure there are some stations that have cars that sit without running. When it’s 105 degrees out with 100% humidity or 10 degrees out, you know why you’d want to leave it running and also to keep the good time radio tunes flowing. When I worked for the sheriff we’d keep them running 24/7 as the days would pass the car onto nights and so forth.

You were a former border patrol or police officer? I have two vehicles with similar mileage and dissimilar hours on it. One was border patrol and one was highway patrol. I think one idled running far more. I can only speak for my vehicles.....

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So since I installed my DIC yesterday I was excited to see what the hours and other functions would display?????

- Well either the battery was removed for an extensive period of time or someone with a scan tool reset everything.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since I installed my DIC yesterday I was excited to see what the hours and other functions would display?????

- Well either the battery was removed for an extensive period of time or someone with a scan tool reset everything.

Don't worry about it too much, change all the fluids, check the spark plugs and consider replacing the O-ring on the oil pick up tube.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about it too much, change all the fluids, check the spark plugs and consider replacing the O-ring on the oil pick up tube.

Only things left are the trans svc w/ new lines and flush the DOT3 this week. I changed the plugs and wires while I was in there; wanted to make sure the plugs were gapped correctly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645