New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tarryl Madison

Tarryl Madison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with Michelin for the most part. But you didn't mention where you take your Denali, like do you ever need to go off roading? Do you like in more of a snowy or dry place? If you drive on the road 90% of the time and you don't get feet of snow at a time or major inches thick of ice in the winter, the Michelin will be perfect. But if you go on Jeep trails, get 15" of snow, you may need a more aggressive tire. Don't cheap out on tires, and don't buy any LT's that the 3/4 ton trucks use.

Mostly highway/city driving in Indiana with an occasional road trip in the summer and the holidays to Maryland or Louisiana, ~15k/year

JoeMiner67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I live in San Antonio, and my driving pattern only consists of normal street use plus three or four 5K+ mile vacations a year. I have bought Michelin Defenders for a number of vehicles and they are just as good or better than the reviews above. I bought a 2015 Yukon Denali that came with Bridgestone Duelers. They rode rough, were noisy, and during light rains were way too slick. About a year ago, I bought a set of Yokohama YK-HTXs at Discount Tire on the recommendation of the sales guy. He said I should try them and if I didn't like them he would swap them out for the Michelins, but assured me I would love them. He was right. They have been extremely quiet, ride smooth, and in light rain I have yet to slip a tire. I would not say they are better than the Michelins I have had in the past, but so far, they seem just about their equal, and they are in the same price range. We have a unique problem here in South Texas with a desert clay called caliche. When dry and packed, it is used as road bed, because it is almost as stable as concrete but much cheaper. However, in dry weather it forms a dust that settles on the road surfaces. In a hard rain, it washes away quickly. However, when we have a two or three inch Texas Rain (in Texas, that means the rain drops are two or three inches apart) it forms a slurry that is as slick as any ice I have ever driven on. The Bridgestones could not handle that, but the Yokohamas don't seem to notice it. i do love them.

isp5190

Reaction score
Need to replace all 4 on my 07 Denali. Looking for low rolling resistance to hopefully increase mileage without sacrificing performance or safety. Any and all recommendations appreciated. What are you riding with? Why do you love/hate them?

Thanks in advance...

Here is my 2 cents, had the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas on or 2009 CPO, got 60,000 miles on them. Replaced with the Michelin LTX M/S2. Seems to a bit quitter and a little better ride. Went with the Michelins being had those on our 2500 truck and loved the mileage and ride, got over 60,000 out of those, also have Michelins on the or cars and have always had great luck. A side note, we live in southern IN, some light snow some heavy, the Michelins have always got use through the snow.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in San Antonio, and my driving pattern only consists of normal street use plus three or four 5K+ mile vacations a year. I have bought Michelin Defenders for a number of vehicles and they are just as good or better than the reviews above. I bought a 2015 Yukon Denali that came with Bridgestone Duelers. They rode rough, were noisy, and during light rains were way too slick. About a year ago, I bought a set of Yokohama YK-HTXs at Discount Tire on the recommendation of the sales guy. He said I should try them and if I didn't like them he would swap them out for the Michelins, but assured me I would love them. He was right. They have been extremely quiet, ride smooth, and in light rain I have yet to slip a tire. I would not say they are better than the Michelins I have had in the past, but so far, they seem just about their equal, and they are in the same price range. We have a unique problem here in South Texas with a desert clay called caliche. When dry and packed, it is used as road bed, because it is almost as stable as concrete but much cheaper. However, in dry weather it forms a dust that settles on the road surfaces. In a hard rain, it washes away quickly. However, when we have a two or three inch Texas Rain (in Texas, that means the rain drops are two or three inches apart) it forms a slurry that is as slick as any ice I have ever driven on. The Bridgestones could not handle that, but the Yokohamas don't seem to notice it. i do love them.

I haven’t used that particular Yokohama but I’ve used others in the past and I did like them except they flat spotted very easily and since I didn’t drive that far to work at the time they rarely got hot enough to work them out. If they were the same price, I’d go for the Michelin’s.

bondservant2

Reaction score
I have the michelin on my 06 SD, but I have Kumho Road Venture's on my 09 Tahoe. Love both sets of tires.
Need to replace all 4 on my 07 Denali. Looking for low rolling resistance to hopefully increase mileage without sacrificing performance or safety. Any and all recommendations appreciated. What are you riding with? Why do you love/hate them?

Thanks in advance...

Just last month I went back and forth on the Michelin LTX and the Goodyear Duratrac for my Suburban. I ended up with the Goodyear’s because I got the set for $260 less than the LTX was going to cost. I really like the ride and they look great. Only problem with them so far is they are a tall tire and were rubbing on the front mud flaps when turning. So until they wear down some I removed the front Weathertechs. But awesome tire IMO. I didn’t think I was going to like the aggressive tread look, but they actually give it a nice rugged look. And no noticeable road noise either.

Blitzed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Literally, just last week, changed from Bridgestone alenza POSs that had 25k on them over to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my 16 Kon. Night and day difference. I changed since the alenzas had me sliding down the highway sideways. Glad I didn't flip it at 65mph.

OP
OP
Tarryl Madison

Tarryl Madison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I checked every site I could find for pricing, and no matter where the Defender LTXs are 209.99 per. Was going to buy from tirerack.com and pick them up for a $64 discount. I checked Sam's Club tonight and they're on sale for $730 for a set and $60 to install. Just put my order in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11