New Tahoe owner, 2015 LTZ...some questions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the undercoating place. They can do something but it's not cheap.

Says he will remove wheels, running boards, spare, wheel liners, then power wash and do a salt/brine wash. Then wire wheel off the loose rust and remove all the GM wax undercoating which is peeling.

After that he will coat the underside with rust inhibitor, then apply a new coat of undercoating.

Will take 4 days and $1500. Debating but plan to keep the truck 10+ years so for me, it may be worth it.....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the undercoating place. They can do something but it's not cheap.

Says he will remove wheels, running boards, spare, wheel liners, then power wash and do a salt/brine wash. Then wire wheel off the loose rust and remove all the GM wax undercoating which is peeling.

After that he will coat the underside with rust inhibitor, then apply a new coat of undercoating.

Will take 4 days and $1500. Debating but plan to keep the truck 10+ years so for me, it may be worth it.....
Are there other shops in your area that would be willing to quote you? I never trust just one.

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes true. The earliest this guy can start is late November, so I'll look around until then. I just had to reserve a slot now(no money down so I can cancel if I find a better deal).

I'm trying to justify the cost because even with the additional $1500 added to the purchase price it is still a few thousand under KBB that I got it for......

Also just received a whole vehicle set of Weathertech (their new HP) floor liners. Test fit the fronts they look great. I have a shampoo machine I'm going to deep clean all the carpets soon and then put these liners in..... Wife isn't complaining about all the time I'm putting into this truck, haha.

Brian

Last edited:

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered some LED lights for the highs and fogs but the HID looks a little yellow to me. Wonder if they make higher color temp DS3 bulbs? The ones in the truck look less than 6000k for sure. Replacing all the interior lights with LED as well hate the tired yellow look.

The OE HID low beam bulbs are 4300K Osram. I would look at Philips and Osram D3S bulbs. Osram makes a popular CBI (cool blue intense) version of the 66340 bulb.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-parts/hid-bulbs-d-series

I believe all the interior lights have factory LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Brian! Nice Tahoe!

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OE HID low beam bulbs are 4300K Osram. I would look at Philips and Osram D3S bulbs. Osram makes a popular CBI (cool blue intense) version of the 66340 bulb.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-parts/hid-bulbs-d-series

I believe all the interior lights have factory LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks. After closer look the interior looks like all led which is great. I did end up buying some d3s 6000k bulbs on amazon but they are a knockoff brand but they have good reviews. I’ll run them and if the suck I’ll try the Osram ones you posted. I also bought som e sealight led bulbs for the highs and fogs that are 6000k so it should all match welll. Running the sea lights in my f150 and my GTO and I’m very happy with that brand of LED.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy the fluid film and spray it myself. I worked for a Ziebart and did undercoating years ago. However, I would not spend that much money as most places are a gimmick to a certain degree (at least their warranties are). If you have the capability, jack it up (or find a friend with a car lift). Go buy a decent degreaser and wash it underneath. Let it dry for a few days and then apply a heavy coating of fluid film. Once applied, let it sit for a few hours till it turns colors then go find a dusty dirt road and drive on it vigorously (not a joke). The dust will bond to it and help encapsulate the fluid film helping to keep it from washing off in rain. You'll want to do maintenance applications occasionally to maintain it.

I have a friend with a body shop that coats stuff in fluid film and swears by it. He also uses another product but I can't think of the name. POR15 is great as well as Chassis Saver if you want to go the route of painting stuff.. But you'll need to strip that waxy coating off first.

Good luck! I also have a high mileage 2015... currently at 137,000. If you want to spend $1500.00, consider a decent extended warranty. I added one and got lucky as my transmission blew out within the first 24hrs of ownership. Not saying you'll have issues, but mine paid for itself pretty quickly. Loving my Tahoe though. I jumped up from a 2007 Canyon... Only electronic buttons it had were the windows locks and mirrors lol.

Mine spends most days on backroads and dirt paths...f1c4e9fd19db8749e6527b7b4d7a6cc7.jpge50a3363a87cdeee41b6755f0b0b4f89.jpg470e730f672595c586e2312668dc2220.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have so much crap going on now and I don't have the facility to do the fluid film (garage or area I can get real dirty). Plus I hate filthy jobs like that. I also wanted it to look really nice and painted so that's one of the main reasons for doing the undercoating, I seen pictures and some of his work the trucks look new underneath when he's done.

As far as the extended warranty, the dealer tried to sell me one for $3500 I think for 3 years, it was way to much for me to justify. I'm pretty good mechanically (and I have extra vehicles) so I figure if anything broke I'd spend the time to just fix it myself. I think the next thing to "fix" when the time comes on this is a new set of magnetic shocks, these have to be getting worn at 104k miles.

Then looking at some new wheels and tires, probably sell these stock LTZ wheels. Wife wants black wheels, maybe 22". Truck i mostly a highway cruiser.

Looked at some 24" wheels but then they start getting ridiculous with wheel names like "shot Callas"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645