new rear brakes sqeaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papaman

Reaction score
new rear brakes squeaking

about two months ago i replaced my worn rear pads with wagner 1194 ceramic pads. i applied the ceramic squeak stopping goo on the backs of the pads, but lately they are starting to squeak again.

when i changed out the original pads they were worn out. i stopped driving the truck the first time i heard the wear indicator touching the rotor until i changed the pads out.

the sound is definitely coming from the rear wheels. i've changed pads on many vehicles before, but this is the first time they've squeaked after i've changed them, and it doesn't happen all the time.

what did i do wrong? anyone have any tips or gotcha's that i might have overlooked?

Last edited:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did replace or turn the rotors?

OP
OP
papaman

papaman

Reaction score
i kept the same stock rotors. they didn't "look" bad... no waves or ripples on the surface that i could tell with my eyes.

i went with the wagner qc1194 since they had really good reviews, and they were a steal pricewise on rockauto.com.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put my money on it being due to not turning the rotors. The rotors will always have grooves in them from the wear of the pads especially if you let the other pads get to the wear bars. Go get the rotors turned and if the pads are fairly new it should stop fairly soon. Personally I would probably just turn the rotors and replace the pads again.

Jons2005tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
X2 on the rotor turning and you can probably get the pads replaced under warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
papaman

papaman

Reaction score
it's been a while, but finally got around to solving this issue.

again, right after i changed the rear brake pads, they would sometimes squeak at low speed braking. since i work from home, i don't drive the truck too often. lately it has gotten worse - they would squeak all the time at low speeds.

rotors were fine, but the anti-squeak compound that you put on the back of the pads was gone. i had originally used the little packet you get from the register at autozone. won't make that mistake again.

i picked up a bottle of CRC Disc Brake Quiet and applied it to the back of the pads, waited ~20 minutes, then re-installed the brakes.

i put ~100 miles on the truck this weekend and no more squeaking. thanks again for the input! thought i'd post back the resolution for those that may search in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076