New power for old girl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crows feet

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a 1995 yukon 5.7 liter 4x4 its a tbi not a vortec last year of tbi.iwant to replace the engine,she getting tired 289.000 miles,just time to do this,never going to part with my girl just keep fixing her up.what motor could i order be alittle more hourse power with out all the crap that goes with it.just want to switch out old with new and stronger keep rest the same.not have to order new brain or that stuff....any help???? thanks in advance....old timer....here

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think that an early 5.3l would be a good swap, I assume by brain you mean ECU and that would have to be changed.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything you do will require a "new brain" or atleast a new chip in the TBI computer. You can do a Vortec top head swap and run a carb intake and adapter, that's basically what I'm running, there is alot more power then a stock TBI.

OP
OP
C

crows feet

Reaction score
old girl

So i will have to prob replace the computer so if i go to a engine with more hourse power say a crate engine can i order the ecu or computer to match that engine ????will all my other stuff still work trans and other stuff or am i getting in to a big ball of wax or *********

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if you stay tbi the ecm will stay. if you go vortec you will want to rip out the entire drivetrain and engine compartment. brackets, computer, harnesses (a lot of them) and all. technically the tranny between them should be identical should not to go as far as the drive shaft tho. and vehicle must be same drive type. if 4wd and you go push button t-case there is more work to be done on the interior electronics.

OP
OP
C

crows feet

Reaction score
holy whole bunch of crap batman.........maybe just rebuild or order same and update intake or sumthin crap seems be easier to put turbo on it ,man why are these new trucks so complacted...computers i guess,,,,,thanks fellows give me alot to think abought

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
not really between 1995 and 1996 there was almost a complete redesign in vehicle powertrains because of new federal requirements for obd2 to be implemented.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy whole bunch of crap batman.........maybe just rebuild or order same and update intake or sumthin crap seems be easier to put turbo on it ,man why are these new trucks so complacted...computers i guess,,,,,thanks fellows give me alot to think abought

Do a vortec top end swap, cam swap and chip with the other normal bolt ones, headers, air intake, etc and you will be better off then ripping and replacing the whole drive train. Probably run circles around the moded vortec guys like I do too hahahaha

:flamingdevil:

OP
OP
C

crows feet

Reaction score
sure thank you guys for all the info,,,gave me alot to decide on what to do.glad i checked with you guys first.......a big old thanks to all who helped!!!!!! crowsfeet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879